29 January 2007

W'eeeeeeeeee'kend.



In ranking weekends over the course of a year, this past weekend is typically the worst one from a sports standpoint. The Pats are done, the Sox are still a few weeks away from reporting to Ft. Myers and...well, what else is there? Sunday had absolutely nothing to offer in the way of sports, unless you count the C's/Wiz game. But with the exception of the play of Delonte and Gomes, there wasn't much to be pleased about. The return of Wally saw him shoot 3-for-12 and look miserable out there, overall. I don't recall any Gerald moments and once again, all anyone talks about now is the Oden race. And finally, this little tidbit: if the Green lose to Indy tonight, that will be 12 in a row, setting them to break the franchise record for losses in a row on Wednesday night against...who else? The Lake Show. Of course, I will be at this game with a barrage of threats to yell at Kobe.


This weekend also brought the first Helton rumors to my eyes/ears, courtesy of the Levine wire. EEI reports that Helton is on board and so is Rockies' brass. I'm ok with giving up Julian Tavares and Craig Hansen, but I don't know if I can be totally ok with letting go of Jacoby Ellsbury if need be. He's part of the future of this team along with our young arms, Pedroia and Murphy. Supposedly Lowell would be involved in a deal too, but he's getting dumped after this year anyway and Youk would be our everyday 3rd baseman with Helton in town. That's pretty much a wash in my eyes, although Lowell is a superior defensive player. I know that 17 is available to Helton, since Marty Barrett is longer playing and Butch Hobson is no longer managing. I hear Helton carries a very blue-collar work ethic to the game as well, which we need to replace the style of Trot. I'm all for this deal.


Some good material from this weekend: La's brother Ilan was in town again, bringing his lovely girlfriend Celia in for a showing. Sunday morning brought this conversation prior to my Dunkie's run.


La: "Are you sure you can carry all that stuff?" (talking to me, referring to 4 coffees, 4 boston creams, 4 bagels and cream cheese...it ended up being 4 coffees, a dozen assorted donuts and 6 bagels with cream cheese)


Ilan: "It's like a tray and bag."


Me: "I was going to say that it's a bag and a tray."


Ilan: "I know that a tray and bag is the same as a bag and a tray through the symmetric property."


Really classic material there, and thus we spent a good 15 minutes coming up with the four basic properties of basic algebra. They are: communicative, associative, distributive and transitive. Sadly, I only got one of them. Celia and Ilan knew the other three between them. They're also 19 and not too far removed from Algebra 1 when compared to me.


Finally, we're now 5-for-5 as far as blacking out at Ned Devine's as a group. This time it was for Russell's birthday and we didn't disappoint. The photo above marks a few firsts on the blog...La appears (next to me), G-Money is there is all his glory and of course, the Uncle, in his classic Johnny Cash attire. I think he commented on how good he looked about 74 times that night, but he was money. Lastly, this is also the first appearance of Jay and Sarah in the blog (far right). They're newly engaged, too. Richie, this photo is pretty much for you since you couldn't make it. Notice the look on my face, signifying that you indeed were not there. I'm just showing my dismay.

1 comment:

dvjs said...

and hopefully Kobe and Lakers continue the Celtics losing streak at home. Too bad Walton is out for this game with his bum ankle.