12 January 2007

Romo's Lament: The Final Chapter

What a glorious day today has been. I had a bomb pastrami sandwich at the Piccadilly for lunch, won in Friday Lunch Keno for the first time, had a free lunch on my punch card at the Pic, and now this from Simmons today:

"Have you ever seen that episode of 'Happy Days' where Richie Cunningham
was the hero in a big basketball game? He was feeling really good about
himself until he ended up losing a game by blowing a free throw with no
time remaining. I couldn't help but think about that episode after
watching the game on Saturday night. Tony Romo was the toast of the town
after taking over from Bledsoe, being interviewed on TV and dating
starlets like Carrie Underwood. Now, he's being compared to people like
Buckner and C-Webb. All we need now is Parcells acting like Mr. C and
giving him a pat on the back and some Lifesavers to make him feel
better."

I'm so happy. I am beside myself that there's a comparison to, not just any 'Happy Days' episode, but the 'Richie Cunningham blows the game' episode. Just awesome. Wait, wait...my favorite part of the Romo Game was right after Romo botched the snap and came up short of the goal line. He knelt where he was tackled with his hands in his face mask, pulling the helmet down over his face. "Don't look at me! I'm hideous!" Then he walked off the field like the fat kid in little league who strikes out EVERY TIME he gets to the plate. You know the walk...there's like one kid who says something like "It's ok, Bobby. You'll get it next time." And the rest of the team is mumbling things like "fatso strikes out again", and "you suck, Tubby". I don't think many things have made me happier than that fumble...and honestly (this is not made up...it actually went down like this) I had the Cowboys to win and stood to win some decent green if he doesn't botch that snap. No matter.

One more thing about this whole Romo catastrophe before I can put it to bed: what the fuck was Gramatica doing during the play? He looked like a injured bird trying to fly. The route he took to try and block Babineaux was is the equivalent of walking around Boston Common and the Public Garden to get from Park Street T stop to the State House. Asinine, but classic place-kicker stuff right there. I do think that if it were Janikowski, he would have found a way to stab Babineaux in the gut with a fishing knife because Janikowski is a bad man.

I'd like to wish everyone a happy and safe weekend...I'll be enjoying the wilderness of middle New Hampshire with La French, 3 Netflix and some playoff football. Awesome.

No comments: