03 November 2006

Oblivion


Je dois précéder le poteau d'aujourd'hui avec un peu de Français. Si vous êtes lecture cette et arrangement il, alors vous savez pourquoi je commence celui-ci comme ceci. Et bonjour… j'attends avec intérêt vraiment le samedi.


Ever notice how difficult it is to seize an opportunity if you don't know it's there in the first place? I am truly the worst at 'keeping a keen eye', so-to-speak. It's alarming to me how often I hear about a past opportunity that I totally spazzed, regardless of the ambiguity of the situation or the subject matter. i.e., it could be something as simple as not realizing that there was another college football game on TV at the same time that I was stuck on CN8, watching UNH play Buffalo in a meaningless, 1-AA game. Yes, I know that 1-AA is synonymous with meaningless. I'm just trying to prove a point here, man. Or it could be something muy importante, like not realizing that a very attractive young lass has an eye for you at a noisy bar and you're actually talking to her, face to face, about strange commonalities or maybe even the Age of Enlightenment. But it's always good when you actually see said lass again and she points out the fact that you are indeed totally oblivious to that sort of thing.


I guess I'm wondering if this is a common trait amongst males, or maybe amongst the French population, or people with black hair, what have you. I'll be the first to admit that I am a huge scatterbrain but I want to feel like I'm in good company.


Ok, since I just threw that out there and left my little self very vulnerable to some harsh criticism (I've decided that I will include a weekly segment, a la the 'poor me' variety), I'd like to throw a challenge out there. I'm a self-proclaimed guru when it comes to jersey numbers. I'm not just talking about one sport in particular, I mean pretty much every sport from any time period. Richie, you can attest to my prowess in this arena, as I have proven time and again that I am pretty much unstoppable. I'll throw a few out there for your viewing pleasure.


Kurt Rambis-31

Mewelde Moore-30

Derrick Cullors-29

Warrick Dunn-28

Frank Cattalonotto-27 (currently)

Anthony Gonzales (BC)-26

Jack Clark (w/Sox)-25

Michael Huff-24

Tom Brunansky-23

Eckstein-22 (as much as I hate him)

Beckett w/marlins-21

Mo Morris-20

Bernie Kosar-19

Elvis Grbac-18, a few different times...Chiefs, Ravens

Marty Barrett-17

John Navarre, Mich.-16

Dany Heatley-15

Ross Wilson-14 (QB on MTV's Two-a-Days...his brother John Parker Wilson is also #14, currently 'Bama's QB)

Todd Marinovoch-13

Thierry Henry-12 (w/French National team in WC)

T.J. Ford-11

Keith Bogans-10 (w/UK)

Ronaldo-9

Marques Tuiasasopo-8

Gordan Giricek-7

Brad Stuart-6

Rocco Baldelli-5

Ryan Gomes w/C's-4

Ryan Gomes w/Providence-3

Red Auerbach-2

Mike Williams w/USC-1
Any brainbusters for me? I can honestly say that if I don't know, I won't look it up. And anyone who stumps me gets a free 'Fool Le French' t-shirt.
Joyeux Vendredi, mes amis.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Je suis impressionné, ton français est meilleur que tu admettes. Et peut-être j'étais plus d'obvoius que la fois passée, non? A bientôt.

Anonymous said...

Kevin Stevens w/ Boston

Anonymous said...

And Grogan frigan rules!!

-JG

Charles said...

Johnny boy! Yes, Grogan does rule. And Keven was #25 with the B's...I believe #4 with Pittsburgh?
And as for you, Mlle Anon...je pense que tu etais plus d'obvoius la nuit derniere...et peut etre tu etais plus d'obvoius a demain, aussi. And I can't figure out how to type the egout and circumflex...

Anonymous said...

Peut-être....

richlevine said...

I think your readership will dwindle if you keep up with these private french jokes. It's insulting to those who tune in to read your drug-induced ramblings. On that note, a challenge:

ed romero
todd benzinger
phil plantier
jerry sichting
antoine carr
quentin mccracken
denis savard

Now, I'll just get my hand up there and feel that one and that one, and we're looking for all these player's number... three seconds...

Charles said...

Ok Richie. You got me with Quentin McCracken...but I think he was 30.

Ed Romero - 11
Todd Benzinger - 25 (amongst others)
Phil Plantier - 29
Jerry Sichting - 18
Antoine Carr - 55
Denis Savard - 18

You t-shirt is in the mail.

Anonymous said...

Does the French woman have a friend for the Uncle? Hook a brotha up...