09 November 2006

Bless You, Boys.



I'd just like to wish everyone a Happy Friday tomorrow...while you're all hard at work, I will be trying really hard to break my own sleep record of 17 hours. However, I will not be pumping myself with kolonapins like last time, nor will I be drinking a bottle of NyQuil like last time. In case you couldn't infer from that last line that I was going through a horrendously difficult time, I was going through a horrendously difficult time. So back the fuck up, Tonto.


I will be honoring Veteran's Day tomorrow, and I'd like to say a few words about the few that I am close with, or at least somewhat close with, that served overseas in our current war. Three come to mind, all great men who I have a lot of respect for.


1. Joey F. I don't know you all that well Joe, but obviously well enough to know that you're a crazy sonofabitch and you're just waiting to get back to Iraq to continue what you started in your first visit to the Middle East. You've got balls, my friend, and I take solace in the fact that people like you are over there protecting us over here. My question for you is, why is Chip such a pussy? Just kidding, Tubby. Godspeed, Joey.


2. Mr. Kane. Your stories about your return to the states are glorious, and you also employ the "brothers don't shake hands, brothers gotta hug" method of greeting...one of my favorite movie lines of all time. What I do know about you is that we're cut from the same cloth socially ( you know what I mean ) and women swoon over your svelt, marine physique. Oh boy, I'm sure to get some shit for that description. Whatever, I'm comfortable in my sexuality. If you don't believe me, learn how to speak French. Anyway, should there be a little Kane running around any time soon, he'll surely be a valuable addition to society, bro.


3. Gilbert. Probably the best person I've ever met, everything considered. Here's your movie character, everybody. Went to VMI, met his wife in high school and proposed to her before he left for Iraq, kept his promise and returned to marry her and give her the house and two children that she dreamed of...this is probably the happiest family I've ever seen and it sucks that we can't hang out every day like we used to, Johnny. I will eventually make it back up to Methuen for your lovely wife's glorious cooking and glass upon glass of scotch. Until then, say hi to your family for me and enjoy tomorrow. Thanks for being who you are.


This might be the sappiest thing I've ever written in my life (aside from my grandmother's eulogy, but that's a little different) but I have a lot of respect for our boys over there and our boys who are back from over there.


Happy Veteran's Day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brother, your making me cry. I take back my voice message last night. UFC is coming up next Saturday, two belts are up for grabs- welterweight and heavyweight, it's going to be a battle! (This saturday the finally is on Spike- more than welcome to come up). Anyway, thanks for the kind words bro, let's get some Oban real soon.

Anonymous said...

Also, I just read your entry on Sunflower seeds. So ironic, I was sitting at my desk the other day thinking about how I miss sitting on the hood of my hum-vee in the middle of the woods, not having showered in two weeks, in the morning cold with the warm engine underneath with a big mouthful of sunflower seeds, taking them apart one by one, eating the seeds and discarding the shells, just waiting for the daily mayhem to start but enjoying the current lull and the fall sunshine. Not a whole lot of things can compare. Here's to sunflower seeds.