27 November 2006

Back to School



I learned a few things this weekend; here they are, in no particular order.


First off, never play quarters with straight vodka. My buddy Jake was in town this weekend, and following a very nice dinner we went onto Clery's to watch USC-Notre Dame. We started playing quarters at our table and when we ran out of beer, we had to resort to Jake's "two ounces of Belvedere in a pint glass full of ice with a lime" (see below for more on this) instead. I think I only took one of these down, but it wasn't because of my stellar quarters play. I sucked on this night, but thankfully La French was there to pick up my slack and drink several glasses of vodka in my relief. We both felt reasonably well the next day, but the uncle was in poor form at best. He didn't put food to his lips until about 330pm on Sunday, which is rare for him when hungover. He also looked like he just spent a week in the hole with only his friend the rat to keep him company.


Next, if you have a ridiculous drink order that you're claiming to be your drink, I think it's best if you warn both the table and the waitress of this before ordering. Nevermind the fact that you look like a total asshole; you've probably made the waitress think less of everyone at the table as well. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate a nice glass of fine alcohol over ice at any given time, but when you have to explain how to make the drink in great detail, you've got a problem.


Third...there should be a standing rule against watching a rivalry game that involves your team at a local bar when you're drunk. I had a hell of time keeping my cool on Saturday night when ND was getting their asses handed to them by USC. Nevermind the fact that my girl is a USC fan; she was actually quite gracious in victory with minimal gloating, but being drunk in public and also very angry can be disastrous. It's really only okay to yell things like "you're such a fucking pussy" in the comfort of your own home. Thankfully, there were no repercussions on Saturday night. However, let it be known that ND has no fucking defense and they don't deserve to be mentioned among the top teams in college football. And they're all a bunch of pussies. What, no good?


Lastly, there is nothing better than seeing Tom Brady get really fired up during a game. I'm sure all of you probably saw him toast Urlacher on a key 3rd down late in yesterday's game, and then get up and signal the first down, all amped up. I love this shit. To me, that was a culmination of a lot of things coming out of Brady. He had watched his team attempt to completely blow that game on several occasions by letting the Bears continually take the ball out of our backs and receivers hands. I know every radio and local TV sports show is talking about the same shit this morning, but you just can't turn the ball over in the other team's red zone twice and get away with it. Unless, of course, you return the favor, which Asante Samuel did. This display of emotion from Brady depicts a release of frustration from the previous failures offensively in that game. But what a game it was, and it's nice to see the Pats win at home again.


One question: does anyone really believe that the Cowboys are now considered to be one of the best teams in the league right now?

No comments: