28 March 2007

Ladies and Gentlemen...Boys and Girls...Welcome to Fenway Park



I've always thought that the robin was the harbinger of Spring. I'm not so sure I agree with that belief anymore, because I've seen differently. I've seen a few other birds around lately, and they don't have an orange chest to boast. However, having seen them, I'm damn certain that Spring is here...or if not totally here (see April 1, 1997 for precedent), mostly here.


I've been noticing orioles and bluejays, and I'm seeing them pretty much every day. I could swear that they want to mess with my well being, but it's also apparent that they're not collaborating to do so; they clearly don't like each other, either. There's also this cardinal who has been strutting around like he's the king of the castle these days. He needs to be cut down to size because frankly, I just don't think he's that impressive. I can see all of these damn birds being outfitted in some nice, red socks...especially come October when the weather's getting cold again.


5 days. Closer to 4 now, actually. For the first time this season, Carl and I are breaking out the grill tonight for a little spring cookout...asphalt style. It might still be under 55° out there, but it sure looks and smells like Spring. The last time I drove by Fenway on my way home, which was yesterday, the scoreboard was being tested. It read "Dice-K" in huge letters and said something underneath...but it was too small for me to read. It's almost time...finally. Even walking through Downtown Crossing and the Common this weekend, the smell of sausages, peppers and onions and Red Dogs emanated from outside the park's gates and tickled my french nose hairs. They're not Fenway Franks, but they reek of the Sausage Guy. They stink of Landsdowne St., as I make way towards Gate C. They give me visions of my Trot t-shirt with a mustard stain on it (which has been retired). It's almost time...finally.


I read the sports page of the Providence Journal a few moments ago, and it pained me to thumb through the Maroney article. It was very unnatural to glance at the box score from the B's/Sens game last night. I don't care anymore. I want to read about the 25-man roster and how they sent Delcarmen, Hansen and Corey down to the minors. I want to read about John Lester and how he's just itching to get back on the mound when it means something, even if it's in Single-A to start. He'll be back in the rotation by the middle of May if all goes well, and I've officially decided that he will be my next addition to the jersey collection.


It's almost time...finally.

1 comment: