02 April 2007

It's Really Opening Day, For Starters



At long last, the single greatest day of the year is upon us. Who gives a shit about the dreary doldrums that surround us here in metro Boston; who cares about the 40° temperatures and who cares that it's yet another Monday morning and we're staring the rest of the week in the face? Today, my friends, is Opening Day. Shouldn't this be a national holiday? Well, maybe the day of the home opener would be more likely to require time off because the games starts at 2:05 pm whereas today's match will see the first pitch around 4:15 pm. But still, it's a great day.


Kicked off by the uber-knowledgeable and quick-witted Richard Levine on the Hillman morning show this morning, the day has looked pretty sweet thus far. As Richie clamored on about 'ol Pap's return to the bullpen and such, I prepared for work in the usual way. Chances are, my day will float on with minimal resistance, apart from the usual hard time the clock gives me. For some reason, it's insistent upon employing the Bob Knight method of running...painfully slow and methodical. I figure every minute is taking about 90 seconds at this point. i won't be able to have the gamecast on my computer because I'll get in trouble for that, but I might be willing to risk it for just this one day. I haven't decided just yet.


The first email of the day came from my buddy Jake, who seems to be really excited about seeing Schill take the hill for our first game. Personally, I'm fine with it but slightly impartial. I would have been perfectly happy with Dice out there or JB. KC, on the other hand, will be sporting the pioneer of the 2007 free-agent unworthy millionaire class in Monsieur Meche. Boy, how much would it suck to be a Royals fan? You've invested a large sum of money in Gil Meche, a guy with a career ERA of 4.65 and who has never topped 200 innings. I'd be more optimistic about Greinke who should have a breakout season; personally I thought that would have happened last year, so clearly this will be his year to make a name for himself. Other Royals to keep an eye out for: still trying to find one, check in later. Prediction for KC: 55-107


The National Championship is also tonight, and I am looking forward to watching Florida cut down the nets. Wait, let me rephrase that: I'm looking forward to watching this game, but I fear that it will be Florida taking it home with little second half resistance. They just have way too much firepower in their lineup and as Jay Bilas remarked, when your fifth offensive option is a guy in Lee Humphrey who shoots 45.6% from downtown, you've got a pretty potent offense. I know the OSU isn't full of slouches either, but they're young, inexperienced and Thad Matta is not Billy Donovan.


Moving onto topics on the lighter side, yesterday marked another April Fool's Day; another in which nothing remarkable happened to anyone I know. The only prank I witnessed (which failed miserably, might I add) was a phone call from Carl's girl's friend who told him she was hammering drinks at 10am and still playing cards, etc etc. But I alertly reminded him at the beginning of that call that it was indeed April 1st and to be wary of any fabricated stories about his girl. Point: Carl, Assist: Me. Some of the better moments in April Fool's Day History as I've seen them:


1. Circa 1993 about, I tied an elastic around the sprayer on our faucet fixture just before my Dad came down to leave for work. Knowing he'd wash out his coffee cup, I waited by the sink in anticipation of the inevitable shot of water he'd get and I soaked him, but I had no idea he'd get so angry. There's something about dousing a man in a suit prior to the work day that gets under the skin a little but. I think I was grounded for a good chunk of time, and I learned never to try and slip one past my old man on April 1st, especially not right before work. Bad idea.


2. Circa 2005, I was working at a recruiting firm and the office was a series of cubicle rows. A co-worker of mine had his "office" moved into the men's room, computer, desk, chair, everything...with a sign that read "Victor's Office" on the men's room door. Unbelievable idea by whoever came up with it. He took it well, too.


I'll use this last paragraph to give an official welcome to the blog world to my father, Charles III. (for those of you unfamiliar with my family tree, I'm the fourth). He started reading about a week ago and following his first visit, he sent me an email and signed it 'French Sr.' which I thought was pretty awesome and equally funny. He said he might be commenting on my insights here and there, so I look forward to the first one.


Oh, for those curious about the photo I've attached on this entry, that's me when I was about 4 or 5. It's posted in an effort to make someone laugh and I hope it's effective on a few more. FYI, my belly has never been this impressive since this photo.


Happy Monday, sports fans. Go Sox.

2 comments:

nina beana said...

love the buddha belly.

Charles said...

I was always well fed as a youth.