03 April 2007

NO DEAL


I've changed my mind about 'American Idol' being the best representation of why other parts of the world hate us. 'Idol' is still in the top three but it is FAR SURPASSED by Deal Or No Deal.


If you consider a Yankee victory entertaining merely for the aggrevation it causes, then maybe you should consider becoming a 'Deal Or No Deal' (sick of typing that out...from here on in, DOND) viewer. This show is for people that like getting pissed off about how incredibly senseless television has become over the years, for the most part. I also find it slightly ironic that the one show that keeps me in my seat for a solid hour every week (aside from sports) is based on thwarting the undying efforts of angry Muslim militants/terrorists and their efforts to kill us all. By the way, in the subscripts of '24', it tells of Fayed and Gredenko taking in an episode or two of DOND before every attack, just to get the old blood boiling. I'll tell ya, Fayed is damn good at looking irate, isn't he? This also reminds me...watching DOND must have generated enough adrenaline in Gredenko to pump him up for that arm amputation. I mean, the guy didn't even faint or pass out from the pain! THAT'S adrenaline, my friends.


So I found myself in front of DOND last night, as a result of BOF insisting that we give it a chance and watch an episode. I've gotta preface this all by mentioning the show 'Greed'. Sure, the name implies an even more absurd theme than DOND, but at least these people had to use their fucking brains a little bit...at least there was a little, friendly competition amongst the contestants. Anyway, we watch DOND last night and there's a female contestant from Alaska who is 'trying to make a better life for her kids' and thus, she's come to DOND to win some money. By the way, her kids didn't look like they were deprived of much...they had neatly pressed button-down shirts on, khakis and they all had glasses. Perhaps mom just wants a new SUV. My problem with her interest here, wanting a better life for her boys, is that if this were true, why would ANYONE risk a guaranteed sum of $191,000 just to see if maybe she could win $400,000? Maybe because it's a game show, right? But these people don't make it about the game. This woman had to make it about the greater good of providing for her family but that went out the window from the moment her obnoxious mother yelled out "NO DEAL! That's only enough for a new truck!"


I would have been so satisfied had the contestant gone all the way and found a mere few hundred dollars in her selected case. She ended up taking a 'DEAL' at $204,000. I'm not sure that's worth the several hours she had to spend with Howie Mandel and his pet soul patch, though...but at least she finally afford that Mercedes M Class and a few Lunchables for the kids. Mission accomplished.

7 comments:

BeachBum said...

First of all, I'm agreeing with you in all aspects of DOND. I, however, would like to argue that the exact reasons you list are why I LOVE this show! I can't stop watching it. Not because people can win money, but because they always - allow me to stress that - ALWAYS wind up screwing themselves over.

It usually happens when they say 'One more case', get a better offer, then greed takes over and things just start falling apart. My favorite was this fat fuck who turned down over $400,000 for another shot. It came apart so quickly for this asswipe that he went all the way down to the case he picked out.

In it? $50. I never laughed so hard in my life.

Charles said...

Precisely why the creators of this show and shows alike are very, very rich men...they know how to appeal to everyone.

I, too would take joy in the contestants screwing themselves...no question.

nina beana said...

thanks for the NYC suggestions...we'll be hitting up the bbq place for sure.

also, i'd be all over mr. parson's, except john would divorce me stat. he's not so much into mr. parson's scene. pllt.

richlevine said...

could be wrong (although i know i'm right) but weren't both of these shows, which represent why the rest of the world hates us so much, actaully created in europe and then adapted for american tv? go back to france, you crepe eating fuck

Anonymous said...

Deal or No Deal is a great show. What I wouldn't give to spend a few hours with Howie and his soul patch. The lady from Alaska was such a sweetheart. She needed better transportation to get through the heavy snow to go to work...AND she stopped before most people on the show would have. She really took NO chance whatsoever with her money, as she had a large safety net. She actually played a perfect game. I have a cold dead heart, but I teared up when she won her money. When her family told her to go on, she said, "but my kids" and hit the button and took the money. I think you need to lighten up or get laid or something. What a meanie.

Anonymous said...

French, seems your fan club here doesn't recognize that no one cares about this stupid woman's car issue. There is a reason why Alaska is 98% men. Men with trucks. Why would you buy a ford fiesta if you lived in Alaska for God's sake? Women in Africa carry three kids on their back + 11 water jugs on their heads 5 miles to the rice patty and back and you don't see them crying about not having snow chains! I completely agree with you Bro, there is no feeling sorry for anyone when they start crying about having to take a $200K "deal". Deal for what? For her kids health? No. For her life? No. For freedom? No. For a Toyota FJ Cruiser. . . Yes!! Give me a fuckin' break.

-JG

And one more thing . . . that BBQ suggestion is glorious. I be thinking of you as I suck down down some memphis style ribs.

Charles said...

Enjoy the BBQ, Johnny. You won't be disappointed.