23 April 2007

War, Vol. III



'The defining moment of the weekend: Back-to-back-to-back-to-back homers Sunday night (Manny, then Drew, then Lowell, then Varitek). Just a thrilling sequence that had to have been otherworldly to watch in person. '


This is how Simmons spoke of the weirdness at Fenway Park last night, and I've been struggling to find appropriate words to depict the feeling I had during that sequence of homers. Here's what went through my head as La and watched history happen before our back-to-back-to-back-to-back virgin eyes.


Manny gets up there and absolutely clobbers one over the monster. La comments on how quickly the ball left the yard as the faithful rejoice and I jump around, yelling and screaming. The guy to my right high fives me. Sweet, 3-1. We're on the board.


Enter JD Drew, whose jersey I purchased after the game on Friday night. He gets down in the count and then Wright leaves one fat over the plate and up in the zone...Drew's power alley. Result: monster shot over the Sox bullpen and no doubt that it was gone when it left his bat. Back-to-back? Awesome. More jumping, screaming, yelling, and a high-ten from the guy next to me. Awesome...within one run, 3-2.


Step in, Mike Lowell. BANG, shot over the monster and another destruction of a Wright pitch that he left fat for Lowell to drive. Start the mayhem as back-to-back-to-back is something to see in person. I'm off my ass now, voice faultering but I yell and yell. I jump and land on the foot of the kid next to me, but he didn't care. We're all laughing and smiling and La looks up at me and says something like four-in-a-row isn't possible...right? Who cares, tie ballgame. No outs. Wright is on a stick right now. 3-3.


Oh Captain...our Captain. On a 1-0 pitch, 'Tek takes a Wright offering and labels the ball his little bitch...and sends the offering out of the park in a HURRY. He hit it on a line, so reaction time was minimal. All I saw was a flash of light and then a chill through my body. FOUR IN A ROW. HOOOOLY SHIT. Pandemonium at Fenway. I high ten the guy next to me, only this time, we hold the high ten for a second, appreciating the moment and probably trying to understand it. We just saw something that we'll never see again. And it was against the Yanks. And it put us in the lead by a run. My voice is now completely gone, I'm hugging La in between futile screams and violent fist pumps. Best moment I've ever experienced at Fenway. ALDS 2004 was special, but this was just beyond words.


I've had some incredible sports weekends in my life, but these two Sox/Yanks battles were so outstanding...so incredibly outstanding in every way possible. This is why we're sports fans.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

in a word......ill.