21 April 2007

War, Vol. II


As Red Auerbach tugged on his Cuban from above last night, Oki induced a soft liner off A-God's bat and finally, his Rodliness was retired and Fenway absolutely ERUPTED. The eruption was an admission of fear, of nerves. Everyone from Sox brass down to the batboy had a pounding heart and a foreshadow of a third and debilitating dinger from #13. Lest we forget, 13 is UNlucky and our smilin'-Irish green chemises were enough to damn the man.


I had nothing left when La and I left the park last night. We sat in our walkway traffic seats until no one was left in the park and then finally gathered our reserves of energy and rose to depart.


"That's the best game I've ever been to, next to ALDS Game 3 of 2004", I said on our way out. There wasn't much more to say.


I'll be back tomorrow, amongst the sea of Japanese, for the third installment of this bloody battle. I need today off to regroup and, in the words of the great Jeremy Ryan, bring it back to neutral and recharge the battery. But this is what we live for, as Red Sox fans, as Yankee fans, as baseball fans in general. You cannot match the emotional electricity of Fenway Park or Yankee Stadium when these two giants meet. It's paradise.


For the record, I'd be at the game today if I had a ticket...hey Bowen, we were there last night in case you weren't sure. It was pretty decent.

No comments: