27 March 2007

What's The Good Word?




First off, thank you to the incomparable Bowen for giving me the inspiration for this particular entry. JB, you're not entirely useless as I once thought. I've taken you off of my list of people I wouldn't save in a fire.






***NOTE***





Still on this list are Kobe Bryant, Dr. Phil, Tony Allen, Oprah, Damian Jackson, Jorge Posada and Gil.





Anyway, I refer you to the link entitled "Bowen" in my list of links to the right for the inspiration for this entry if you even care.





Are there words out there that you just prefer using over others? Maybe they're not always entirely appropriate for everyday conversation or maybe they just don't fit into many contexts, what-have-you. Either way, the following represents a list of words that I really do have an affection for.



Tit



Now, I know what you're thinking, but I like this word in a lesser traditional sense. I think I learned it from Nate, but it's to be used in place of "easy", or "a cinch". For instance, if you're playing Madden on the 'All-Madden' setting and you make it to the Super Bowl quite easily, you might say with an incredulous look, "Man, that was tit." Or, perhaps you're explaining to someone the proper way to tie a tourniquet and they say to you, "Wow, that sounds difficult." Your response could be, "Nah, it's tit."



Balls



I had no intention of leading this off with two anatomical words but alas...anyway, balls has been featured in this blog before and I continue to love using it as often as possible. As you probably know by now, it's an expression of dislike; it's also an adjective for extremely, or wicked. i.e., "A-Rod broke up Dice-K's no-no. Balls." -and- "I'm balls deep in this McGriddle now, leave me alone."





*If A-Rod breaks up a Dice-K no-no this season, I take full responsibility. And yes, this would be the third mention of the McGriddle in the last 10 days. I think I should seek help.



Jive



Ever since I saw Airplane for the first time, I've loved using the word 'jive' in different situations.[old woman on the plane: "Oh stewardess? I speak jive. (proceeds to speak jive with two black men on the plane for a few minutes)] This can be used a few different ways, though. It can be used as 'work', as in "that don't jive", or to mean 'kidding', as in "are you fucking jiving me right now?"



Stem, or Hack



The credit for these must be given entirely to Chip. They both refer to some form of a dude who is consider to be 1) a loser, 2) a jackass, 3) a douchebag. i.e.





Chip: "The kid was wearing a Yankee hat and Jeter jersey, playing a flute outside of Fenway."





Me: "So he was a hack?"





Chip: "Oh, such a fucking hack."



Snaps



Another one that must be credited to Nate. 'Snaps' is something one would say to you if you had just done something of note, something that would invoke applause or an acknowledgement of approval. i.e.




Me: "Yo, I just managed to swindle a free 30-pack of Schlitz from the cashier in exchange for a Sosa rookie card."




Nate: "Snaps, dude. Snaps."






2 comments:

BeachBum said...

I love 'Tit'!! In every sense of the word, except male.

Also, wasn't that Jive woman in Airplane The Beav's Mom? For some reason that makes it even funnier.

Glad I'm off the Kobe - Dr Phil - Oprah list even though I wasn't aware I was on it until you took me off.

Charles said...

You weren't really on the list, but wouldn't that be the worst list to be on? Like, worse than the List Of People To Kill in Billy Madison?