05 February 2007

Birthdays, Bad Bears and a Big 'Ol Slab of Beef



Here's a roundup of my weekend that just was. Overall, I give the weekend a score of 8 and you'll see why.


Friday night was tremendous. La and I settled onto my couch at around 8pm with our D'Angelo's subs and the movie Friday Night Lights. If you haven't seen this movie and you watch the show, see the movie ASAP. I've seen it a number of times, but this was La's first. It's a great movie and it's definitely a better depiction of what it's really like down there in Texas when it comes to high school football. Anyway, we were in bed at 10:30 and we slept until noon on Saturday. I give Friday night a score of 9.5.


Saturday was...well, it was exactly what I predicted it would be...a fucking circus. We went to Ned's to celebrate Richie's birthday in grand style and the crowd did not disappoint. I think 100 people showed up just for Rich, which was a nice thing. I'd say 83% of those ended up blacking out before Burnt Sienna's second set, or at least 2%...that being me and La. I can't really say what happened that night with great certainty, but it was fun as hell. There was plenty of Jameson consumed, the band was great and again, a lot of people showed up. The highlight of the night for me occured later on, when we were dropped off at the Greenhouse (La's home) at around 2am. She gets out very hastily and I fumble with the cab fare and wait for change. Next thing I know, the cabbie is telling me that I "better tend to my girl, man", and as i look over, I see her sitting indian style in the middle of Huntington Ave, pale as all hell. Awesome. Just a perfect way to end a great night of gassing Irish Whiskey and Bud Lights. Did I mention it was -100 degrees out? I give Saturday night a score of 9.5 as well.


And then we have yesterday...a bad day for hangovers, a horrible Superbowl and a glorious 5 lb. roast from the kitchen of Kathy B., also known as me mum. I laid in bed with La until 3pm, hoping her hangover would subside enough for her to join me and my folks for dinner. Didn't happen. So I go to Bev-town solo, feeling decently normal. I would grow progressively more hungover as the day wore on and I couldn't do a thing to stop it. I had 4 glasses of chianti with my parents, did a few loads of laundry and tried to sweat out the hangover, but it tightened its grip. Later, the three of us pulled up some chairs and feasted on this enormous roast beef and it was just spectacular. I'm a meat and potatoes type of guy; so is my dad, his late father, his late grandfather, and so on. So we know a thing or two about a piece of beef. This thing was fucking gorgeous. Perfectly pinkish-red, warm center, a nice peppery crust on the outside and au jus that a Frenchman would easily give up his children for. I ate probably a whole pound if it myself and neither me nor my father said a single thing throughout the meal except "more meat". It was just what I needed. Then we watched Rex single-handedly lose the game for the Bears and at the same time, prove to any and all doubters that he is, indeed, the worst QB in the NFL. His long balls were like Dell Curry three-balls...touching the clouds and dropping straight down. Only these fell into Indy defenders hands, not a net. Just atrocious. And on the biggest stage of all, too. Unacceptable. He's fucking terrible. I don't want to say much more than that about the Superbowl. The only good thing to come of it was the Uncle winning the fourth quarter square and taking home $1500 for it. Solid work, chief. I give Sunday a 5, and only because the roast brought this up from a 1.5.


Only three more days until myself and La find ourselves in Malibu for a nice little vacation. The forecast for those 5 days is...wait for it...ALL RAIN. FIVE FUCKING DAYS OF RAIN. I give the weather report a score of 0. At least it's gonna be 65°, though. Better than 11°. The wind chill is -15 today. To give you an idea of how cold that it, I saw a polar bear on my way to work this morning, holding a cardboard sign that read "WILL WORK FOR A BLANKET". A fucking polar bear. Pansy.

3 comments:

BeachBum said...

Just wanted to let you know that the mental image of DA sitting in the middle of the sidewalk in the dead of winter made my day. She's such a treasure!!

richlevine said...

you get any of that roast beef on the curtains in your parents house?

Anonymous said...

gee,
that message was riddled with old umass lingo. i give it a score of 0, three ball. as you said, you guys are really serious about your beef up there. i hope you got a to-go order from nicks, for the ride home. by the sneed, i went to glenwood yesterday with jonny and ev. burgers were pretty money.