07 September 2006

I hate New York

I'm clearly in the wrong profession. Well, maybe not profession per se because I love being a headhunter; I should NOT be a headhunter for the NYC/Long Island marketplace, though. It's so effing annoying to hear the same shit, over and over, when you tell a client that you're physically located in Boston. "Ah, I thought I smelled a Sox fan", and this will eternally be followed by a snickery, sneery, make-me-puke-my-fucking-guts-out-y type of chuckle. How you smell a Sox fan through the phone is beyond me, but New Yorkers are weird folk, aren't they?

Today has been particularly painful because I am ill with a headcold (see my post from a few days back) and very irritable. I've talked to multiple New Yorkers today who also happen to be Penn State fans. I am a devout Notre Dame fan, have been since I was old enough to emulate 'Touchdown Jesus' and his signal of a touchdown. Of course all of these PSU folk have mentioned their love of the Nittany Lions and their excitement for the upcoming game this weekend and I have to retort by telling them I am an Irish fan. Interestingly enough, it has been easier to throw in some jabs at these fans moreso than it ever is to a Yankee fan. The reasons are obvious I guess, but I'm just not used to having a pot to piss in when it comes to throwing darts. I love poking fun at Paterno, aka Father Time. The man looks like he should have an oxygen hose under his nose, a cane and hunchback. He's got that paper mache skin, you know? Don't get me wrong, I admire his awareness. I applaud his longevity and I am in awe of his rapport with his players and the media. But aside from last year, Happy Valley hasn't seen a promising team in a while. I think JoePa has expired, much like the 2% in my fridge that smells like a caveman's ass.

I digress...I do enjoy ribbing with PSU fans as an Irish fan. I don't have too much ammo in defending my team, which makes it fun on both sides because ND certainly has its share of black marks itself. I really wish there was more to my Sox ammo than 2004...it just doesn't come close to all the shit that comes out of a Yankee fan's mouth and right into my brain, piercing my ears and heart on its way in. I hate it more than the Brady Family's little cousin Simon. (shit, that kid should have died long ago, no?) I suppose it wouldn't be the same, however, if we Sox fans had ammo...of course, that will never happen unless we can muster 25 more titles before the Bombers get another one. That's about as realistic as Paterno living through the 2006-07 season.

Just kidding. I hope he lives many more years and coaches for all them.

No comments: