20 June 2007

Something's Fishy

Earlier this month, I posted an entry (Only In Dreams) about a dream I had that was extremely vivid and memorable. To add to the analysis of the dream, I'd like to share a new tidbit of information with you. Upon reading that post, Nate (who was in the dream) emailed me and offered that the pig incident in the house was an extension of one of my childhood fears which stemmed from his mother. See, I used to eat and sleep over his house quite regularly as a youth. Dinners there were very Americanesque most of the time...mac and cheese, burgers and dogs, drumsticks and tater tots; things of this nature. One of my least favorite meals as a kid was his mother's sausage subs. I don't know why, exactly, but I always dreaded dinner when I knew that was on the menu. I was usually polite enough to eat whatever was being offered, but these were otherworldly...in a bad way. i still don't know why I had such an aversion to them, and no one else who dined there shared my sentiment. So perhaps the pig offering to his mom in the dream was some sort of apology/retributional gift for all those times I cringed at her sausage subs.

I had another dream two nights ago that stuck with me, but it was much shorter in content that this other one with the pig, etc. I was on a raft with my father and we were fishing on some pond in New Hampshire. We weren't catching anything but little sunfish or perch, until this enormous school of trout appeared in front of us. My dad cast out his line and hauled in like fifty of them at once. he immediately got off of the raft (which was pretty much next to the shore for whatever reason...one of those inherent weird parts of any dream; as if the whole concept of this one isn't weird enough) and stepped on dry ground to gather his catch. Once he was off, the rest of this giant school of fish took control of the raft and suddenly I was being shuttled around by the fish. Terrified and yelling, they pushed me over to the other shore and directly into a thorn bush. I then woke up, and La later informed me that I was whimpering in my sleep and woke up panting.

Analysis:

I. I don't have a fear of water, but I do have a fear of what's in water. I guess this dream sort of highlights that fear.

II. Thorns are terrible things, but why would a school of fish thrust me into such a fate? Scrapes and cuts and all that sort of thing...hey, I'm not the one who caught a chunk of your school for purpose of consumption. Why not toss my pop into the thorns? Not that this is what I would want, it's just a logical question. Dad, no offense.

III. I've addressed the whole issue of meat and how I eat very little anymore, if any. I have been consuming a lot of fish over the last several months. Maybe the fish are trying to tell me to lay off of them, too. Well, I've got news for you, fish. I'm not even close to done with you. In fact, I'm on the verge of expanding my breadth of fish variety and that's what's up. I learned last night that Puerto Rico has some delicious appetizer called the cod fritter, which I plan on sampling in about 3 weeks. Snapper is also on the horizon.

I'm really enjoying the recent dream analyses. This makes two dreams in the past few weeks that I can recount with complete ease and accuracy, after several years of having little to no recollection of any dream at all. I wonder why this is.

12 comments:

BeachBum said...

The fish were obviously taking revenge in the old school way.

Get it? Old SCHOOL!!?? A bunch of fish are called a school?

Right.

Meaning, maybe your father caught a bunch of kid fish and the parent fish were taking his son as retribution.

Makes perfect sense to me.

And maybe meat somehow suppresses dreams? Now that you're not eating it much, your dreams are running wild.

One sidenote - I really wouldn't admit to 'whimpering' in your sleep. Regardless of what kind of dream you're having. Makes you sound like a pussy.

Jum said...

The dream that woke me up at 5 AM today, sweating profusely and scared out of my mind? A fairly standard horror movie-type dream. The X factor that makes this one of the weirdest dreams I can remember? The characters in the dream were none other than Elizabeth Shue and Daunte Culpepper. Figure that one.

Anonymous said...

So what do you have against sausage subs from the diggity household? I got one at a phish show once and it was quite tasty. Granted I was absolutely torched at the time. Strange. I would bet your recent health kick is aiding your post dream memory. The fact that you quit cigs and your brain is no longer clogged with malted hops and bong resin. Hammen, I think you have been watching to much sportscenter and Leaving Las Vegas. Although Vegas is on your mind.

Charles said...

Yeah, I thought about the whimpering part for a few seconds, but figured what the hell, you know? Better to be a pussy in your sleep.

Jimbo, obviously that dream is recognizing that Culpepper and Shue currently have the same star power = zero. Hmm...Miami football, movies...I smell a Ray Finkel reference.

Charles said...

They weren't traditional subs, dude. The sausages were breakfast links, I believe. Who the hell makes a sub with breakfast links? Wait, there's also a chance they were patties...still, I just wasn't a fan. And I'm shocked that you report being torched at the time you ate the sausage sub. Like anyone couldn't infer that from your presence at a Phish show.

pacing the cage said...

Was it Elisabeth Shue from Karate Kid or Elisabeth Shue from Hide and Seek? There's a big difference there, and both are good in their own way. Was it Culpepper in his days as Vike, and if so, the year where he was dominant or the years he appeared to be a half-tard? Or maybe it was Miami Culpepper or even Sex Boat Culpepper. None of those options are appealing to me. Were they at Golf N Stuff?

pacing the cage said...

finally, I really hope Cruel Summer by Ace of Base was playing in the background.

D-Lo said...

Is "Finding Nemo" giving you nightmares (it's kind of scary when the fish all swim in unison like that)? If so, watch out for Ratatouille. It (Finding Nemo) gives me nightmares, but mainly because I consider it ridiculously overrated and my wife is always trying to get me to watch it with her. I find that I'm exponentially more likely to remember dreams that happen during those mornings when I'm just kind of waking up and falling asleep spontaneously rather than via alarm clock coercion; I don't know if anyone else has noticed that about themselves.

D-Lo said...

I almost forgot that the whole reason I originally started to respond is because I am a faithful user of the Nike+iPod accelerometer thingamajig, and I think it's great. I don't know how much you know about it, but all the info it gives you about your runs, particularly what it does online, is super cool. Also, as you may know, Nike shoes aren't required; I have a little pouch that I bought for $5 that I put mine in, and that works just fine. You should get it, then we could race and blog about it.

Charles said...

Hang on, you really don't need to buy Nike+ shoes to use the chip? Get on with your bad self, D-lo. I bought the chip and some new Nikes that should arrive on Friday or Saturday...I feel some sort of joke about a running blog coming...I already keep a running blog, but this would be a blog about running...thus, a running blog. It will be revolutionary and perhaps warrants a new, co-edited blog. Who's coming with me? (goldfish in hand)

D-Lo said...

A running joke about a running blog?

Charles said...

And if, by chance, we somehow convert to pure, indoor runners, it can be a running, inside joke.