18 June 2007

Kids Stuff

It's pretty clear to me that the key to getting older is reminding yourself of things that make you feel young...revisiting those things and making them a part of your everyday life. Those things are going to be different for everybody, without a doubt. If you've been out of touch with your inner child for some time, it could also be a great challenge to get back there and relive some of the things that made you so happy all those years ago. It's important to do this, however. And it's equally important to find things that can achieve this remembrance from all stages of life (where you were old enough to know what the hell was going on, of course).

My morning run today took my by and around Fenway Park, my favorite place on the planet. I switched my pink iPod to a song that I knew would pump me up and I sprinted down Yawkey Way to Van Ness. I even thought in my head, for a quick second, that some talent scout might be out there having himself a morning and perhaps he'd see my blazing speed and think, hey, that kid is quick...we could use more speed in this lineup. Because, you know, that's what happens in reality. But Fenway is a magical place for me on so many levels. It's truly awesome to think that the park has remained relatively unchanged over the course of so many years and generations. So many teams have played there; so many fans have walked through the gates and watched the Sox there. And because it's still intact and ever-improving under the accommodating hands of the current ownership, we can have our memories preserved and revisited every time we step foot in the park. All that said, I will always remember those games with my Dad in my Aunt Gloria's seats...three rows behind the Sox dugout, eye-level with the players. There's no better seat in the house.

Maintaining the baseball theme, La and I were out in the park across the street from my parents' house yesterday afternoon, playing baseball. I now have a collection of about 50 tennis balls courtesy of Wilson the dog, and when the weather is nice, La and I try to find time for her to take some swings. All of that happened yesterday, along with two teen aged boys challenging us to a game of 2-on-2. It was a one inning game due to the dinner rule being in effect. The two boys wanted to be up first and we gladly obliged. I pitched, La fielded with a catcher's mitt. For the record, it's tough to shag flies with a catcher's mitt...in a skirt...barefoot...in front of a small but raucous crowd of two or three onlookers. We were quickly down 5-0 after the first half-inning, but we battled back in the bottom part of the inning. Our offensive onslaught was highlighted by a clutch, three-run triple off La's bat and a pair of long home runs off mine. After going ahead 10-6, we declared it dinner time; game over. We had won, albeit over a pair of 14 year-olds. Following the game, La said to me that she felt like she was 6, having to stop playing outside because dinner was ready. That's kinda what I'm talking about.

A great way to feel like a kid again is to actually spend some time with one. There was more Aaron time yesterday, and since it was Father's Day, there was sure to be some high comedy. The thing with holidays is, Aaron loves to spread the cheer of a given holiday to all those in his presence. Yesterday was no exception, as he was able to turn Father's Day into a holiday for all to celebrate. For my mom, his mom, my Aunt Joanie and La, it was Mother's Day. For me, my dad and his father, it was Father's day. At one point during dinner, he crawled under the table and wished everyone there either a Happy Father's Day or Mother's Day, one by one, around the table. And one by one, we all thanked him. After this first round of wishes, there was a round of goodnights to everyone at the table, once again one by one, and then finally a second round of Father's Day and Mother's Day wishes. The meal concluded by having chocolate cake and ice cream. The little man always has the right idea with food, and his cake eating is truly a no-frills event. Index finger only, all frosting. Screw the actual cake part, who needs it? Get to the good stuff. And he gets to eat in his underwear, by the way. I'm sitting there in a full sweat because it was a humid night, and he's all smiles in a pair of pull-ups...just living the dream.

There's a ton of stuff one can do to revert back to childhood, even if only for a short while. I wonder if we all do this subconsciously, as a way to feel younger. If that's the case, then I'm simply taking the guesswork out of it. I suggest doing the same.

RUN UPDATE

Went for run #4 this morning, as I mentioned before. Today felt remarkably better than the previous three times, and I felt like I could have gone for another 2 miles once I finished. I'm beginning to realize that I'm healthier than I've been in several years. I haven't been in any sort of shape since senior year of high school, so nearly 10 years if not more. It feels pretty freaking good, too. Oh, this morning I was running about 200 yards behind this dude who I could see up ahead. I picked up my pace and established a landmark as a goal for passing him. As I gained on him, my competitive impulses kicked in and I started to really push it...near full sprint. I glided by him before the landmark goal, and smiled wryly on my way by...peering back at him, I noticed that he was probably in his seventies...his pace was that of Manny on an infield ground ball. Satisfaction annulled...

4 comments:

pacing the cage said...

well done sir, well done.

Anonymous said...

I believe that is the same park where I hit that ridiculous shot from behind the backboard. I would love to get up to Beverly and hit up Nick's again soon. Hi hi hi hi.

nina beana said...

awww, the sensitive chad. love it.

Anonymous said...

I was just remarking to your mother after you left on Sunday how good you looked. We haven't seen you look that good since your Senior year at MHS. Keep up doing what you're doing and it will pay dividends as you grow older.

Also, keep going back into your childhood and reliving those experiences. I know I do! I love reminiscing to the days when my three sons were much younger and reliving the great times we had. We did have some fun back then, didn't we? Trips to Florida in the motor home; remember the trip in the Lincoln Town Car with AJ? Boy, we sure knew how to have fun!

As for the tennis balls, Wilson is working on his next bag of 50 balls if mom doesn't throw them all out before he has a chance to get 50. I try to keep him from picking up the baseballs in the park, because once he gets hold of one, it's nearly impossible to get him to drop it. Then, if I don't watch him and grab it when he does drop it, he will chew the hide right off of it.