14 December 2006

A Tribute: 5-day weekends, deals that get done and football.

Before I begin...a little something I have to take care of first.

Nina Gilbert (no complaints!):

Hippie mom of two
My favorite spinach pie
What a weird husband

Now back to the tribute. This is a pretty big weekend we have ahead, and not just for me because the Vegas Vacation is finally upon us. How about the fact that there's five nights of football on the horizon? Amazing. If you want something to watch tomorrow night, please turn on the UMass v. Appalachian State game for the Div. I-AA championship. You won't be disappointed in how hard both of these teams play. It's also the final regular season home game for the Pats; however, it is the Texans. Ahem. But you never know. I might even take Houston against the spread in this game. But Rodney Harrison was upgraded to doubtful yesterday. Let me just say that if I ever do NOT want to be upgraded, it's if I'm being upgraded to doubtful. FYI, the upgrade that occurs before this one is from 'No Fucking Way' to 'No Way'.

Onto deals that get done...Dice-K is in the fucking seat, everybody. My prediction is this: He goes 13-7 with a 2.98 ERA. I think that would be tremendous, and I also think that he's capable of surpassing those expectations. What gives me this feeling? False optimism. I've got tons of it, including a little bit towards the C's signing AI. Hey, there's a snag in the JD deal. Excuse me for not giving a flying fuck. Jed Hoyer spoke on behalf of Theo and Larry last night, which leads me to believe that they really don't give a fuck either.

And finally, 5-day weekends. GLORIOUS. First three in Vegas then back to the Bean for two straight days of sleep, with La French's holiday party and Richie and I playing against the C's in a 2k7 tournament on either the 360 or PS sandwiched between. Yes, you read right. We're playing against a handful of Celtics to prove that pro-athletes hold no advantage in video game bball. I'll let you know how that transpires, butI have to thank Rich for this brilliant idea. I will say that I suggested sticking more than one average Jack in there to validate the sample.

Odds and ends...UMass beat Louisville on the hardcourt last night. Rashaun Freeman is legit (we knew this though) and I was very impressed with the poise of the team down the stretch in that game...

Rest in peace Billy Simard and Dennis Babin. Billy was the father of one of my best friends who lost his battle with cancer this morning. The man loved the Pats and roast beef sandwiches...can't think of two better loves. We'll miss you , Bill. And Dennis was my first drum teacher...although I only took one lesson before realizing I could teach myself more effectively. Dennis lost his battle with OC's a few days ago. One more kind and decent soul sacrificed to an addiction. Sleep well, Dennis.

Ok, have an upbeat and swell weekend overall. I'll be making love to a T-Bone and some 3-card poker in my favorite place on earth.

2 comments:

nina beana said...

have fun!

love my haiku- it just made my life.

Anonymous said...

Go UMass!!!