09 October 2006

Apples and Oranges


"Come on, that's like comparing apples and oranges."


Have you ever truly thought about this cliche? I got to thinking this afternoon, and here's what I came up with--as far as a true comparison.


1. These are both fruits, are they not? Indeed. So why not compare apples to lettuce? Or maybe the beet? Wait, is the beet a fruit or a legume? Legume, right? Grows from the ground?


2. They are both round, or orb-like. I was thinking something more like, oranges and bananas, or apples and grapes. There are many possibilities here that would be far less comparable. Go ahead, try a few out. Apples and pears? Sure. Oranges and pineapples? Now you're thinking! You show 'em.


3. There are juices that are derived from both fruits, are there not? Refer to a few of the aforementioned pairs for better comparisons...I don't recall pear juice being readily available for purchase. Banana juice? I know that banana is often paired with orange and pineapple, but it never appears on its own.


4. You can peel both of these fruits. This one goes no further.


5. Both grow on trees. You can't go orange picking up here, but that would be kinda sick if you could. I'd prefer to go orange picking if given the option between that or apple picking. Although, there may not be as many options after the picking ceases...like orange juice donuts? Orange pie? All you'd see is a bunch of families sitting around eating oranges and drinking orange juice. It would be kind of like halftime at a U-12 soccer game.


I don't feel like coming up with any more, but you get my point on this one. But please, don't ty to compare this post to any of my prior posts. That would be like comparing sandwiches to hoagies.

1 comment:

nina beana said...

hey- thanks for making me laugh...you're fracken hilarious.