20 July 2007

The Week That Was



As a Friday treat, I thought I'd break down my week by highs and lows and see just how good or bad it really was. After all, this was my first fuil week back at work following the glorious trip to Puerto Rico. It was bound for eventfulness, 'twas it not? Methinks.


Let's begin with the end.


1. We all went out to lunch today...the sales team here. David sat to my right, and he ordered the Captain's Platter. He's about 5' tall, and the platter is just massive. I remarked that he should have ordered the First Mate's Platter (good, solid round of laughs) then asked if he had read the sign at the door saying "You Must Be This Tall To Order The Captain's Platter". He didn't see the sign, nor did anyone else. Also, he didn't see the humor, nor did anyone else. I did get points, however, when the Vick scandal came on the tube in the lounge and I remarked, "Man, Vick sure got himself into a dogfight with the NFL." I won that battle, but ultimately lost the fight...see #2.


2. I somehow became entrenched in a text war with Hammen; the basis was coming up with dog cliches concerning the Vick fiasco. See above for an example. Anyway, the feud lasted a whole day and then some, but I eventually repeated one when I wrote for the second time a text containing the cliche "tail between his legs". I was beaten.


3. I got the offer for the new job this afternoon. Thankfully, I will be ridding myself of the monotony that I have known for the past 8 months in short time. That's a huge victory.

4. I achieved 3 of 4 running goals for the week: I ran 5 miles for the first time, I ran 4 of 6 days (4 of 5 actually), I burned over 2000 calories in those 4 days and I did a 5k in under 29 minutes. Nothing miraculous here, but all milestones for this guy.


5. I've started eating something in my diet that gives me tremendous gas. I mean, bone-throttling gas...I just don't know what it is that's doing it to me. I've been eating a lot of new shit this week, so I've got to try and isolate the culprit this weekend. But my stomach has been in shambles for a few days now.


6. I got caught up with Ponch this morning, and it turns out that he is headed up to Vermont for that wedding he wrote about not too long ago. His expectations are high, which is probably going to bite him. Undoubtedly, he'll end up getting too stoned after the ceremony and asking some bridesmaid to join him in his hotel room for a cheeseburger sub and NHL '97 on SEGA, thus killing his chances of anything good happening. Unless, of course, she's into that. Then he might just get married up there, too. Best of luck, you sack.


7. And finally, the Red Sox. I'm not going to say much here because there's just nothing original to say. My Dad has already given his annual "there's always next year" speech, so the inevitable summer slide must be upon us. But let's look at it this way: it's earlier than usual, so maybe they're having their growing pains early. Much like the first girl in high school to have breasts, it'll be a little uncomfortable at first for them but eventually they'll be basking in the affections of everyone again soon. This funk will pass, it has to. They're too good and they're pitching will eventually save them. I still think we'll win the AL East by 10 games or more.


That's all for today. Hope you all have an insanely good weekend. Salut.

4 comments:

Jum said...

I'll be honest; I feel good to have escaped with a victory in the Dog ClicheFest '07. If you hadn't repeated that last one, I was in trouble. However, considering we came up with a mind-boggling 8 cliches each (plus one extra for you by calling me the top dog, touche by the way) I can safely say that there were really no losers...or that we're both losers.

D-Lo said...

I hope you guys don't stay up really late sending dog cliche texts, only to wake up feeling like crap and decide that the only thing to do is start sending more dog cliche texts, aka "The hair of the dog that bit you."

BeachBum said...

So what was the verdict? Good week or bad? I would lean towards good since you got the job offer (congrats, btw). Losing the Dog Cliche war would put a damper on that I suppose.

Anonymous said...

I hope you guys will post the "dog cliches" you came up with during the skirmish. Kinda reminds me of the time in Vegas, riding back to the airport to catch the "red eye" and we were trying to come up with as many "shit" cliches as possible.

BTW, I wasn't suggesting that the Sox were out of it already. What I said was that it was not looking good due to the fact that the offense was struggling, and the pitching was also lacking any strong performances at that time - 3 straight losses, and a 7 game lead over the "Evil Empire".