13 July 2007

Ketchup

No, not ketchup...catch up. I'm caught up on things now, and it's time to get back to the daily grind of regular blogging. I know it's been a while, as was evidenced by the email from my father this morning that questioned where the hell my blog about our adventures in Puerto Rico was. Well, it's one below this one, in case you can't see it for yourself at this given time. Onto current events...

Last night was a great way to come back from the All-Star break for the Sox. Getting swept by the Tigers wasn't what I was looking for going into the break, and if you saw how bad Tito looked after that series you might reconsider those three days off being a pain in the ass; Tito needed the rest.

Anyway, we now possess the only starting rotation with 3 10-game winners, as Knuckles joined Beckett and Dice-K last night in the Sox second dismantling of Doc Halladay this season. It just goes to show that working the counts and making a power pitcher throw a lot of pitches can only benefit your offense eventually. The core of Manny and Ortiz carried the load last night, even with Papi's supposed bum knee. I don't know how concerned to be with this knee thing, but if he's going 3-for-5 and knocking in runs like he did last night, then I'm not going to sit and stew over it. Regardless of whether or not they're hitting home runs, as long as they're productive (as they've been most of the season) it doesn't really matter what the power numbers are. But they're going to catch fire at some point and the balls will start flying.

Look who's 5 for his last 9, everyone! It's the guy whose chalk outline has been drawn into the dirt at shortstop for the last few months! I'm not proclaiming Lugo to be out of his gargantuan slump just yet, but his average has found its way over .200 for the first time since the end of June. He says he's seeing the ball better and that certainly would account for his better contact lately. Let's give him July to keep this little roll going and then re-assess things in August. Needless to say, his bat would be HUGE in this lineup if it starts heating up.

Unfortunately, the end of the first half of the season brought the end of the first Jacoby Ellsbury stint. In 6 games, he hit .375 with a double, an RBI, a stolen base and 7 total bases. I can't wait for him to be our regular center fielder, but he's not there yet. I hope to see him in the starting lineup by the end of next season, however.

10 games up in the AL East, fairly healthy and the most favorable schedule in the MLB. Buckle up, folks. It's going to be an exciting few months of baseball around here and I couldn't be happier about it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are you, Tito's grandmother? "Did you see Tito after that series? He look horrible, he needed the rest." Looks like someone took their pussy pills. . .

-Gilbert

Anonymous said...

Let's hear it for Julio Lugo! I was beginning to wish they had never brought him here. Good to see he's finally contributing and earning the respect of Red Sox Nation. Hope it continues right through into October.

Papi's got a torn maniscus. Painful, but not enough to take him out of the lineup. If it was A-Rod, maybe another story (60-day DL?). Wimp!! It was good to see that ball take a sharp right turn in front of him (A-rod) in the All Star game, eh? It was like "Man, you're not putting those bitch-slappin' hands on me! No way!" and zip, right past his right shoulder. Yuk, yuk, yuk.

Charles said...

Ahh, Gilbert. I see you've taken a break from your knitting to type some precious comments for me.

How's it goin? Good, good, good, good, good, good, good, good, good, good, good. Hope you and your family had a nice Fourth, you fuck.

Anonymous said...

Yo, I do feel bad that I talked to you Wednesday and forgot to wish you a happy birthday. I've been internalizing the guilt and it manifested itself in a couple of hateful comments. I'm man enough to admit that I'm sorry for making fun of your arms that more closely resemble coat hangers and the fact that you share empathy with a millionaire that manages a frigan baseball team for a living. Sorry, and happy birthday handsome.

-Gilbert

Anonymous said...

I have to confess. I skim through all of your posts on the red sox, which is many of them. So I enjoyed the first paragraph of this one.