07 September 2007

Unfinished Business

No sooner than when my brain only started to form the thought of JD Drew not hitting into a double play, he promptly wooded a trademark twin-killer to Miguel Tejada, abruptly halting a perfect run-scoring bid with the bases jammed in the 8th last night.

1. Take a goddamn pitch, you fucking jackass. Please, for the love of all that is holy, you're in a megaslump. The least you can do is give your eye a chance to see the ball a little better before you take a hack. TAKE A PITCH.

2. Show some emotion out there. Would it kill you to break a bat over your knee once in a while? If I were you, I'd have no bats left by now. My thigh would be a bruised, bloody mess...hey wait. Yes, please start breaking bats over your knee/thigh. Maybe we'll all get lucky and you can be IR'd for the rest of the year.

2a. If #2 can happen, then my boy Jacoby can occupy a spot in the outfield for the rest of the year. In case you missed last night's action, he pinch-hit in the 8th before Drew came to the plate and singled to left...loading the bases. It would have plated the go-ahead run, but he hit it too hard and right to Jay Payton. The kid is on fire. ON FIRE. And I predict that he switches to #3 next season.

I've got nothing else to say about JD Drew and I think I'll bite my tongue for the rest of the season because I fear the sports media uses Drew as their 'out' story when there's nothing more to write about. Truth is, I hadn't really ripped on him for a while but there are times in every Sox fan's life where he just has to bag on a guy who sucks. (Damian Jackson was the largest recipient of this in my time thusfar) I suppose there's still time for him to break out of his funk...like 4 more years. Imagine that...the Sox are paying a guy $15 million to hit .252 and drive in 50 runs. Good investment so far, boys. I have nearly all praise for you in terms of scouting ability, I do. You just tend to overvalue veteran players.

In the spirit of trying to be more welcoming to a wider range of readers, I'd like to talk favorably about A-Rod for a second. That scene at Ruth's House the other night was absurd...just absurd. It was 'The Natural' being played out, like Gibby's homer for the Dodgers when he could barely hobble about the bases. A-Rod was supposed to be a scratch from the lineup; he was in pain, a night off would have been a good thing for him. But he played, homered twice in the same inning and-whoa, let's back the train up for a second. Twice in the same inning? The guy was a last second addition to the lineup because he felt he needed to be out there and he homers twice in the same inning? Yeah. And two curtain calls later everyone in that dugout is scratching his head, wondering where this guy gets it. It was pretty amazing, and I love that stuff. He's gotta be the MVP this season, hands down. At this point, the Pinners are locking down the Wildcard and building momentum towards the playoffs. And it's mostly due to Rodriguez. My hat's off to you, A-Rod. It's hard to make a case against you as the best that has ever played the game.

There, that was for Steve at Enzymatics. Thanks for reading and see you in the playoffs. Oh, a warning for you: my father isn't one to be messed with in terms of the Sox. A little light banter is acceptable but keep in mind that if lines are crossed, he's got some serious angst from years and years of anguish. Watch your step...

Shameless Plug: Yard Sale tomorrow morning, 8am-noon at 9 Ray St in Beverly, MA. Word is, there'll be an original Nintendo system with 20 some-odd games for sale...if I choose to part with it. Yeah, Double Dribble is one of those games.

3 comments:

Jum said...

If you have Little League Baseball for the Nintendo too, then consider it sold to me. I'll pay shipping.

BeachBum said...

Would Francona dare to play an outfield of Manny, Coco, and Jacoby in the playoffs and sit Drew?

One thing that infuriates me watching Drew hit - and something AL scouts have exploited the last half of the season- is his inability to lay off the sliders going down and away.

Watch when a pitcher gets 2 strikes on him, he'll throw a breaking ball or slider that goes down and away and Drew swings or half swings every single time. My 7 year old finally looked at me and said 'Why does he just not swing at those?'.

Good question, kid, good question.

dvjs said...

i am excited for the baseball season to be over with and hopefully you saved the nintendo for jim.