05 September 2007

Hail to the Chief!


Did you know that Jacoby McCabe Ellsbury is the first Native American of Navajo descent to reach the majors? Yep, he is. I have to ask though...after seeing what Jacoby has done in 11 games at the major-league level, is it fair to ponder what other Navajo might be worth looking into for baseball talent? Who knows, maybe the reservation is flooded with speedy talent. This also just in: Ellsbury's Navajo name is actually "Hits For Average, Runs like Wind".


I'm not sure how PC that last paragraph is and I surely meant no disrespect to the Navajo people. But I can't hide the fact that I am simply dumbfounded by the talents of one of their own in Jacoby Ellsbury. The young outfielder continued his barrage of stellar play last night by going 3-for-3 including a triple and home run, raising his 11-game average to a modest .452. His OBP is a hair over 51% and his RBI production puts him on pace to pass JD Drew by the end of the season. Well, that's hardly impressive. Believe me, I truly appreciate what Coco Crisp has done for the team this season but if Ellsbury isn't our starting center fielder next season, I'm giving up my rabid fandom. Seriously. Maybe. Probably not.


Flipping this coin over to the tails side, I saw the highlight of A-Rod's moon shot last night. Whoever saw SportsCenter this morning also saw the look that Jeter gave him as he jogged into the dugout. Hilarious and pretty much the same look I would have given him. His face said "what the...was that a joke?" If you saw the homer, you know what I mean. If Manny had been playing left, he wouldn't even have raised out of his hands-on-knees stance, much less turned his head. It was, as I hate so much to hear on the YES Network, an A-Bomb for A-Rod. I've got no disses here...nothing negative to say. The Yankees are probably going to win the Wildcard, and the Sox are probably going to play them in the playoffs, and it's definitely going to be another epic showdown. Come on now, Clemens back in Fenway during the playoffs? It's going to be absolutely ridiculous, such that I'm drooling over the prospect.


Well, time to hit the phones and make some money. Let's all sit back and appreciate the time of year, as we stare a few things in the face: Baseball's playoffs, the start of the NFL season, the second week of the college football season and the mere stone's throw away that will be the most exciting NBA season in Boston since some dude from French Lick played here. Who's giddy?

1 comment:

Jum said...

Trade Coco and let Ellsbury play center, or trade Drew for a box of Junior Mints, and have Ellsbury and Manny play some combination of left and right?