26 August 2008

Park City, Utah

Stage V: Park City, UT



Here's the long and the short of it:



Long was the drive to Park City, short was our stay. More of a true winter resort ONLY, we arrived at the deserted Canyons Resort in Park City late in the afternoon on Thursday, July 23rd. And for the first time on our journey, Hotwire failed us. There was no reservation at the resort under either name so we had no room at first. After an hour or so at the front desk things were cleared up and we had our room. It's amazing how little fight I had in me following 2100 miles of driving prior to landing in Park City. As much as I wanted to lay into the Hotwire rep for embarrassing me at the front desk at the resort, I just didn't have it in me. Sure, I wanted free shit as a result of the mishap. I wanted a deal, man. We booked every room on that trip with those fuckers, they owed us. But I was subdued by my fatigue and yearning for a square meal.



The greatest part of this stop was the tub in our hotel room. I can't tell you how much we valued the jacuzzi-style, giant bath tub that lay waiting for us in the bathroom. So following a suprisingly elegant and gourmet dinner (Lauren had a nice piece of tuna and I had a game bird meatloaf sandwich...tremendous), we relegated ourselves to the confines of this tub and sort of just melted into it. Our bones were tired as we made a lifeless human stew. After our glorious soak, we had all we could do to climb into bed and rest our heads. Sleep came quickly, but not as quickly as 5am. Friday would be our longest day of driving, through the deplorable wasteland that is Nevada and ultimately over the border into California, landing in San Francisco.



I wish I had more to say about Park City but like I said, this stop on the tour was much more of a rejuventing rest (all be it a short one) than anything else. Plus, as I mentioned, there wasn't SHIT to do up there. Alas, there are photos.





The Canyons Resort, Park City, UT. Here's where you valet your car for free, but then pay $18 for the garage. I guess this is more acceptable than the $49 charge for parking in Chicago and San Francisco. I should mention that at 5am, it was only about 55 degrees in Park City. The lowest temperature we encountered on the trip was 48 degrees as we wound through the Rockies. Conversely, the highest temp was 104 degrees in beautiful Fort Hays, KS. That was recorded about three hours before the 48 degree reading, marking a 56 degree change over a three hour span. I was very excited about this.




The gondola, which had taken the night off on Thursday. Had we more time, we could have taken this bitch to the top of the mountain and had lunch for a mere $40 a person. And I'm pretty sure the lunch was pb&j's. Hey, it's all about the views, man. The views. Look at that sun rise.




This is kind of a shitty photo...one that I took, undoubtedly. I believe this to be our resort from afar with the mountain behind it. Yes, that mountainous, cone-shaped mass behind the resort is in fact a mountain.




Sunrise in Park City...



And finally, Chad and Lauren, pre-coffee at 5:30am as we prepare to depart Park City. She looks cute at this time of day. I look like a fucking idiot.



And the final stage of the trip shall follow shortly.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If they gave out awards for being FUCKING BORING you would win, hands down. You've obliterated the competition brother.

-Gilbert

Charles said...

Wow, John. I've underestimated you and your ability to be a fucking DBAG.

Go shit in a hat. Actually wait, you've already topped that one about a million times over by shitting in your pants/boxers/shoes/flower box/kiddie swing in your yard. Go shit in a bowl and mix in some milk, eggs, flower, sugar, baking powder and a little salt. In 1/4 cup dollups, scoop it into a fry pan you're buttered and make some good, old-fashioned shitcakes. Put a little maple syrup (Vermont Pure only, please) and eat them shitcakes.

Take care though. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

mmmmm, I love shitcakes Chad.

XOXO

BeachBum said...

It's hilarious how you blame looking like a 'fucking idiot' on the time of the day.

Jum said...

Hey, not everybody can manage to look surprised by a camera flash when they're the one taking the picture. That's a skill.

Charles said...

You're all gonna die.