14 August 2008

LA King

Read this: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings

I'm not quite sure what to make of the whole thing, really. I was a Manny apologist for a long time, along with a lot of friends and some family members. It's hard not to be when talking about not only the best player on your town's team but arguably one of the best players to ever don the Boston uniform. I once wrote into Gordon Edes of the Boston Globe (one of my favorite sports writers along with the aforelinked Stark) suggesting that Manny is one of the top three right-handed hitters of all-time in the history of baseball. It's not that big of a stretch to lump him in that category, really. Back then I didn't care about all the antics that came along with having Manny Ramirez on the Sox roster. I guess I kind of care now.

I read this article and I too wonder about the makeup of Dodger fans. Don't get me wrong, I think it's fantastic that they are now poised to take the NL West and return some sense of pride to this city that hasn't been realized since the days of Gibby. 20 years is tough, I know. Try 86 on for size. I also know for a fact that there are some diehard Dodger fans who love the game, continue to support their boys year in and year out and those people, some of whom I've conversed with at the gym, aren't applauding Manny and his suddenly workmanlike ways in Dodger blue. They're wowing Jason Bay and Kevin Youkilis for "existing without Manny". Interesting. Your Dodgers are rejuvenated, playing great ball and most importantly, in first. You probably should be saying things like "thanks for Manny", or "think the Sox will be fine without Manny?" It's nice to not hear those types of questions, because the Sox are fine without Manny and Boston is better off.

Maybe Kevin Youkilis isn't doing anything new, because he's not. In Youkilis, the Sox have a guy who cares more about one, single swinging strike than Manny ever cared about an entire season of baseball. Youkilis may be a pain in the ass in terms of his emotions and dramas on the field, but it's merely because he loves to play, hates to lose and more importantly, LOVES to win. I'm not sure Manny ever cared about losing. I know that Manny had some kind of problem with Youkilis, displaying some his ability to slap a man with a backhand much like the famed "bitchslap" we've all come to know. Impressive. And from what I know of that situation (hearsay, mind you) it had to do with Youkilis getting on Manny a little bit for not caring enough and Manny felt as though Youk perhaps was taking a game scenario a little too seriously. Case in point. Doesn't every game count? A loss in May could very well come back to haunt a team in the playoff hunt in late September just as easily as a loss in...well...late September. They all matter in some regard.

I tend to wonder how D Lowe, Nomar and others in LA that have worn the navy and red cap in the Fens feel about having Manny back on a common roster. Nomar and D Lowe both alluded to him being a great hitter and a powerful presence in any lineup. True. I will never discount Manny's ability to change the face of a team, a game or a season for that matter. He's one of the greatest hitters of all time and apparently he works harder off the field than most. He likes to keep that under his cap for whatever reason. I guess I'll give Manny credit for not caring what anyone thinks of him. Clearly he couldn't have cared less about the feelings of others in Boston. Reportedly, 24 of 25 Sox on the Manny-included roster thought it was time to go. The one who didn't? Not surprisingly David Ortiz, his best friend.

I don't know about you, but I'm happy about the Jason Bay era in Boston. Through the looking glass that is my laptop and Sportscenter, he looks like a likable guy. He hits, he fields and all fingers point to him being a good clubhouse guy. Plus, he's 29. Of course you lose something in terms of power and production but I'm willing to bet that it turns out to be minimal at worst, especially when you take into account that an unhappy Manny in Boston was often times an unproductive and cancerous Manny. As the season trudges on, the Sox making the playoffs won't be about just Jason Bay's bat, or Jon Lester's arm or Jacoby Ellsbury's legs. It'll be about the team effort and unity of a clubhouse that would appear to a happy place once again.

Side note: if Jed Lowrie gets benched when Lugo returns from the DL, it'll be a travesty. There's another guy I want in the Sox lineup every night. I think he already might have more hits in two months than Lugo has had all season. And we ALL know the errors are down with Lowrie at short.

Side note II: my rainless streak in LA is officially over, and it lasted 20 days. It rained for five minutes on my way home from the gym today. Waaaaaaaaaaaaah.

No comments: