24 June 2008

Will Somebody PLEASE....

...help me answer these questions??

1. People I've consulted about my cross-country journey in late July seem to be eternally pessimistic about my goal of getting there in 72 hours or less. It's 3030.3 miles...if I drive 14-15 hours a day, this can be done. Can I get some bandwagon supporters in my camp here?

Preliminary checklist to minimize stops:

2 dozen hard-boiled eggs, a dozen granola bars (variety yet to be chosen...I'm open to suggestions), 6 peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches, 3 bags of generic caramel-flavored rice snacks and 24 bottles of water. This will all be contained in a cooler, so I will need to stop for ice several times.

2. Has anyone been watching Nashville Star? I confess that I caught an episode with my folks a couple weeks back and I have to say, this show produces the type of talent you might see at the local fair or at a middle school talent show. Garbage. A part of me feels bad saying this because these people are putting it out there to be judged, but really. Some of that shit is fucking horrendous. Looks like most of these candidates won't be able to give up their other gig at Waffle House for some time. But I wish them luck in finding something that actually plays to one of their talents as opposed to exploiting a weakness...ie signing.

3. ***this question is for anyone from or relating to Kansas*** What in the hell is Bill Self going to do next year? So long Chalmers, Arthur, Rush, Jackson and Kaun. What's in store, oh wise Hammen?

4. Anyone looking forward to this report about Amish adolescents headed into the real world for some booze, boobs and ballyhoo? Not sure when it's on, but next time this type of thing airs I'd like to see a special on home-schooled kids getting tossed into a city high school in South Central LA for a couple weeks. Yes, white home-schooled kids. Come on.

5. How about the loveable, huggable Don Imus outdoing himself? Pacman actually said he is going to pray for Imus...is there anyway Imus doesn't find himself looking down the barrel of a gun in the next 24 hours? I just don't see him being alive for much longer...but it would be sweet if they threw him into a maximum security prison for a night or two, just to see what happens. Of course, they'd put up posters of Imus all over the prison that read "This Man Is A Racist And He's Gonna Be Your Neighbor!" prior to the visit.

5 comments:

dvjs said...

2 dozen hard-boiled eggs


yuck and am glad not in automobile with them.

Anonymous said...

What's the rush man? I think you need to buy the "best of woodie guthrie" CD, buy a few ounces of some really good weed, throw in some pbr and slow it down. Get out and smell the roses. You'll probably never get to do this trip again and most people wish they had the chance. Slow it down and see America brother.

Peace,
Falcor

BeachBum said...

I agree with both comments.

Don't take hard boiled eggs for the ride. You're just asking for a LOT of rest stops along the way with that diet.

Take your time and enjoy the journey.

That said, you could totally make it in 72 hours if you played it right. I made it from Indiana (specifically Notre Dame) to Boston in less than 16 hours a few years ago. We drove straight through at 70-80 mph with a minimum of stops. It wasn't pretty, but we did it.

I also did Virginia Beach to Boston in less than 11 hours and that was after a week of nonstop drinking.

Boston to LA is entirely possible in 72 hours, but you'll look, smell, and feel like shit when you get there.

Charles said...

I eat lots of eggs...they're my substitute for coffee when I'm trying to not drink coffee. I don't eat the yolks from hard-boiled eggs, so I'd essentially be traveling with 24 whites only.

Unfortunately I don't have all the time in the world to enjoy this journey to its fullest. Of course I'd love to make it a vacation but it can't be...it's a means to an end. That being said, if Lauren can come with me (yet to be determined), the food choices will change dramatically.

Jum said...

We've got Sherron Collins and Cole Aldrich (you know, the freshman who OWNED National Player of the Year Tyler Hansbrough in the Final 4) coming back, a couple of juco transfers who will be decent, and LOTS of freshman. It will be a rebuilding year for sure, but we'll still be rated top 20.

Whenever things get rough next year, I'll just pop in my Championship game DVD and watch Chalmers' shot a few dozen times.

I agree with others, don't rush through the road trip. Few people get the opportunity to drive cross-country. Enjoy it.