03 June 2008

BeachBum's Annual Inspiration

Well, maybe that should read BeachBum's First Annual Inspiration. It has been suggested that we let the creative juices flow and ring in the month of June with some volume of titillating bloggery, so this is my virginal attempt at such excretion of juice.

Here's something I've had in my head lately: I hope that the Marlins' Dan Uggla goes through a series of ups and downs this year; a series that is markedly polar in terms of great play and abhorrent play. When this ultimately happens I'd like to see a snippet of the details of these ups and downs on Sportscenter, and it shall be titled The Good, The Bad and The Uggla. Shortly thereafter, a snippet will be shown about the debacle of Yankee starter Joba Chamberlain moving into the rotation (1st start: 38 first inning pitches) and it will be titled A Joba Not Well Done.

It's no secret that I really, really like baseball. I'm going to detail the high points of having David Ortiz on the disabled list for at least a month now.

1. DHing Manny means a speedy, nearly impermeable defense behind the Sox starters. Even Manny said in jest yesterday that team will be more than ok with his "gold glove" relegated to the DH slot in the lineup. I will never tire of watching either Coco Crisp or Jake Ellsbury run down fly balls in the outfield.

2. We've now seen the depth of the Sox rotation and how talented that depth truly is. Papi's stint on the DL will allow us to see Masterson a whole lot more and I like watching that kid pitch. He seems smart, throws hard, has good stuff and doesn't rattle easily. Hell, he handled the (gulp) surging Rays tonight with a bend-but-don't-break performance indicative of a night where he probably wasn't at his best. But he did enough to win and that's really all I'm worried about. Think about the ages of that rotation...you have Lester, Buchholz, Matsuzaka and now Masterson all contributing consistently. It's very, very exciting.

2a. I just have to mention Tubby Colon in this segment because I suggested in the preseason that he would prove to be valuable to this rotation at some point in the season. He looks legitimately good and that means a LOT to that rotation. His fastball is chugging along at 95-96 and his splitter looks pretty nasty. Plus he's just so portly. You have to love that.

3. Overall, we are still seeing the fruits of the best farm system in the game this season, and the talent is deeper still. Jeff Bailey is a very patient hitter who will work counts and get on base, this Carter kid who they called up this morning was having a stellar year in Pawtucket, and I need not mention the continued success of Ellsbury and Pedroia. I think I undersold Ellsbury in my prediction of 50 stolen bases this year, too. He's a fucking menace on the bases.

I just believe that this team is built to withstand a lengthy loss such as this one with Ortiz. They are deep on offense, on defense and on the hill and it's more apparent than ever right now.

I think this is all the creative juice I can squeeze out tonight, Big John. I have to hand it to you, though. You are to blogging what Tom Clancy is to paperback writing in terms of my father and his hobbies. The blog world changes lives, I'm telling you. Just tonight, I drove around Beverly after a trip to CVS, listening to "A Very Schneweis Christmas/Holiday" and I couldn't help but think, man, this is a CD for all seasons...not just the holidays. Sorry Benny, I forgot the exact title but it's a nice catalog. I dig it the most.

A very happy 31st birthday the future Dr. Adam Ponchick, aka Ponch and known to the blog world for his paltry contribution "Right Buddy". It barely merits mention but given the fact that you've made it to 31, I'll humor you. Hope you had a nice one, pal.

2 comments:

BeachBum said...

Happy to see I have such a positive effect on your blogging efforts. You even used the word 'impermeable'!

Nice work and I agree that their defense in the outfield is now one of the best in the league. However, I'll be holding my breath whenever Coco and Jacoby both sprint towards a ball hit between them.

Anonymous said...

Not to worry! I just heard that they have both just received implants with sensors, like the ones they are putting on cars nowadays, to warn of an impending collision. Beep, beep!

Nice effort tonight, mon fils!