03 October 2007

Quo

The state of things as they are currently...the current state of affairs...the now, if you will:

As I continue my running regiment, I have added weight training into the mix. One thing is certain over the first week of lifting weights: I am weak. I can't lift much weight at all, and it's a tough haul to rig up those two ten-lb. weights on each side of the squat machine as the dude next to me lifts weight like it's going out of style. It's almost as if he thinks the weights might not be there tomorrow, so therefore he has to lift all of it just in case that should come true. And there I am, cautiously lifting minimal weight to "gain my form" as the trainer puts it. This is all well and good though, because I have come to grips with the fact that I need a lot of work on the old muscles. See me in six months.

I am noticing changes in my body, which good. I can't quite figure out the whole gas issue, but I guess that it's not a huge deal. I try to keep it to myself whenever possible but I was surprised to hear that even when I walk clear across the apartment to release, La can still hear me from three rooms away. She never says anything, so I always assumed I was in the clear. I guess I underestimate her hearing, either that or I underestimate the gusto behind my gas. I guess it's really not that often that I pass it without fervor.

It's now official that La and I will be in attendance on Friday night, to watch Dice-K for the 4th time this season. I think he'll be okay because the Angels haven't seen him this season. He's had some rest and assuming he can avoid that one, disastrous inning I think he'll pitch well. I can't say that I'm really relying on him to have a quality start, though. It's probably more likely that he goes 5 1/3, gives up 4 or 5 runs and keeps us in striking distance to come from behind. Of course, I'd much rather he shuts down their offense and leaves no doubt about the outcome when he exits. I want that every night, sure I do. But what would a world without high blood pressure and short fuses be like? Boring as shit.

I am slowly beginning to forget about the sideline camera debacle of a few weeks back. Yeah, it's probably always going to be there, somewhere in the back of my mind, waiting to be brought back into the forefront by some unadoring fan who wants to be an asshole. I don't like the inevitable talk of 16-0, the same talk that filled the ears of Colt fans for most of the season last year. The truth of the matter is, if the Patriots sit atop the AFC East after week 10, 11 or 12 with the division clinched, they are going to start resting players and playing them less and less every week. Does anyone on the Patriots or among their staff give a shit about going undefeated? No way in hell. This team was built to win the Superbowl and if they happen not to lose along the way, so be it. But nothing is given here. In 2001, the Rams were the Patriots of 2007. 'Greatest Show on Turf', everybody's feel good story of the year, Kurt Warner and Marshall, Marshall, Marshall. This team can be beat and chances are, it will be beat before too long. The game of the year for me is probably the game of the year for all Pat fans...our date with Manning and the Colts a little ways down the road. Man, how great would it be if on November 4th, both teams are undefeated when the first whistle blows in the RCA Dome? I can't wait for that game.

Well, let's all get ramped up for the first pitch at 6:30 tonight at the Fens. JB v. Lackey...it doesn't get much better than that for a playoff pitching matchup, does it?

GO SOX.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read your blog, as I sit here watching Game #1. The Sox are up 4 - 0, and JB has retired 15 in a row, after giving up a leadoff single to Chone Figgins in the 1st. Man, it sure doesn't get any better than this.

BTW, where in hell do these people come up with the spelling of names for their children? Who, in his right mind, spells "Sean" or "Shawn", or "Shaun" as "CHONE"??? If they want to appear illiterate, they are going about it the right way!

I agree that the Pats will probably not go 16 - 0. I think that the game in Dallas will be a good one to watch, also. The two highest scoring offenses in the NFL, and the two stingiest defenses going head-to-head. Should be exciting to watch.

I will be watching for you on Friday night. Wear something I will be able to pick out on TV.

Go Sox!

Jum said...

What a GEM by Beckett. It smells like sweep in here. But what do I know, I'm just a minion who started liking the Sox after 2004.