02 January 2008

Mixed Bag

In terms of a rating for the new year thus far, I've got to go with something in the vicinity of 7.7. Sure, I like the number 7. In fact, it's my favorite. But that rating should be higher, methinks. However, a few things have happened over the last 34 hours that have lowered it from its original score of 10. You see, at the stroke of midnight on January 1, 2008, it was a perfect year.

Yesterday got off to a good enough start, I guess. Lauren and I were in bed a little before midnight, but awake enough to realize the new year as it chimed in. We arose from our sleep pallet upon her hunch that fireworks might be visible out the back windows on the other side of the apartment. She was right, so we enjoyed a 10-minute display of decent light explosions as we rang in the newest year. It was a good way to start things off.

The night went off without a hitch as far as sleep in concerned. I slept well enough and awoke hungry. I then proceeded to make an admittedly phenomenal breakfast: an egg scramble with garlic, rosemary, mushrooms, onions, spinach and cheddar cheese. I served this up with points of toasted pita and sliced avocado. The only bad part was the sinewy avocado, which I struggled to understand. It was ripe, but refrigerated overnight. I'm guessing the temperature changed the texture a little. Score at this point of the morning: 9.6...the avocado brought it down that much because I love avocados and sometimes there's just nothing more disappointing than a bad one.

Somewhere over the course of breakfast or just after, it was brought to my attention that there was a marathon of 'America's Next Top Model'* that day. Score at that point: 8.3. I can stand this show, yes. And I did, no complaining to speak of. Truth be told, it was either that or one of several mediocre bowl games that were on yesterday. I know what you're thinking here, but I really had no interest in any of the games that were on yesterday other than Michigan/Florida. I missed this one and to be honest, I have no idea what time it was even on. What I can tell you is that lupus is a disease that attacks the immune system and it's a chronic illness. I can also tell you that Italian male models will provoke American female models to libate themselves too much and ultimately be unfaithful to their boyfriends. So disappointing.

We watched a few episodes before deciding to shuffle off to Target and eventually a few grocery stores to collect some dinner materials. Much to our delight, Target had what we were looking for: Rummikub and clothes hangers. And Rummikub and the hangers combined cost us a whopping $11.28 (we also bought paper towels, but those aside, that's a sweet deal for a dope board game and 13 quality hangers). Score after learning the cost of the items: 9.1. As I paid for this stuff, Lauren went off to get us a coffee at Starbucks. Score after learning that the coffee was about as tasty as cod liver oil: 8.1. Look, I was really looking forward to that cup of coffee and it sucked. SUCKED.

Continuing onto Stop & Shop, we searched for a new brand of tea that might please our pallets. We found a few, but over the course of looking for them Lauren decided she would make a special dinner of sea bass and spinach with a goat cheese and roasted garlic appetizer. So we put the tea back and left for home so we could retrieve the recipe for the sea bass and spinach. Then it was onto Whole Foods Market to get the ingredients. Score as we arrived at Whole Foods: standing pat at 8.1.

We found everything we needed at the market and more, and a very helpful produce lady made us up a fresh sac of basil for very cheap. I was pleased. We spent ample time choosing a dessert and searching for all the items we were there to buy, but it was fun. I find food shopping to be one of the more soothing things to do, as well as satisfying (most of the time...if I can't find anything I came for, I get really fucking stressed out for no good reason and fall into a bad mood) and this was no exception. Plus, the quality of most things at Whole Foods is top notch. That reminds me, 'top notch' is a modifier that I plan to incorporate into my vocabulary this year. I find it to be quite underused, but at the same time, it's a great way to describe something great. "Hey babe? This stew is fucking top notch. TOP NOTCH." Saying it twice in a row and really stressing it that second time is key to its effectiveness. Digression. Score upon leaving the market: 9.4.

On the way home, we stopped at a local liquor store to pick up some wine to have with dinner. I've been going to this liquor store near our apartment for a long time and I've never noticed their wine selection until last night. Incredible, and I got a $30 bottle of Merlot for $13.95. Score: 9.9. Nothing like getting a sweet deal.

The rest of the night was very good. Lauren's meal was fantastic and dessert was also very good. Reality began to return to the evening as I fell back into routine mode. I ironed my shirt for today and made lunches and that was pretty much it for the rest of the night. Score upon climbing into bed: 8.8. Normalcy brought the score down a bit. Then I couldn't sleep at all, tossed and turned all night, felt like shit as the night wore on and then this at 6:00am: I am rousted by the sound of someone yacking outside of our apartment, right in the parking lot. I open the blind a bit to see a younger man with a backpack on (on of those string-strapped Red Sox backpacks 'Ramirez' and the number 24 on the back, like a jersey. And he's pulling the trigger to induce the vomiting. At 6:00 in the morning. In our parking lot. I've seen some strange things in my life, but this one was right up there with the strangest. But it definitely woke me up for good (granted out of a very light sleep), which made me wonder if there's an alarm clock out there that plays the sounds of someone barfing. Score at this point: 7.7.

So there you have it. I'd like to close by wishing my dad a very happy 66th birthday today, as he bathes in the Florida sun. Hope it's a 10 for you, Pop. Enjoy.

*In no way did Lauren make me watch this show. I willingly agreed to watch it and I didn't express any displeasure with it at all yesterday.

5 comments:

BeachBum said...

I hear your local liquor store also has a fine selection of Stella Artois.

Just read that you were down to 164. WTF,dude? Unless you are five foot four, that is way to light. Start lifting and doing 'roids or something.

Jum said...

My respect level for you before this post: 9.8.
After learning that you somewhat enjoyed a Next Top Model marathon (not just an episdoe, a MARATHON!) 6.4.

Coincidentally, the girl who won that show a few years ago was from my high school; she was/is not attractive at all.

Anonymous said...

if i didn't know you guys, i would put your ages somewhere in the mid- fifties to sixties. in bed before midnight and shopping for a new brand of tea? yikes. nice to see coach carr go out with a win. i thought tebow would be able to get them a win at the end of the game. being that he is part qb and part mythological creature. also nice to see Hawaii get absolutely torched as soon as they played someone good. i guess brennan is good, but easy on the heisman attempt there guy. we will see how you do at the next level. anyway, good post.

Anonymous said...

no sports and America's top model? really? like for real? you of all people. i am speechless. i am without speech.

Anonymous said...

it's a sad time to know you