09 August 2007

Two in Two

Chuck Woolery has always been my favorite game show host..."we'll be back in two and two." Of course I am referencing the fact that this will be my second post in two days, a feat I haven't accomplished in a fortnight or so. As I sit here in my new orangy/mauve cubicle, I pat myself on the back for reconnecting with my blog. Onward...

Being back in the city full time, I am realizing how hard it is to not be the guy who brings his lunch every day. I have absolutely no idea where to eat when I venture out to revitalize. It's not that I can't find places; quite the contrary my friends. I can't decide on a place to eat because there are literally a thousand places to eat within a square 1/4 mile. I don't understand how all these little sandwich shops survive with all the competition. I suppose that for every Al's State Street Deli, there's a thousand Al's customers who are loyal and keep coming back. So if every deli and sandwich shop has a bit of a following, it's probably enough to get by in a big city like Boston. The problem is, they really are pretty much all the same.

I've had three versions of the turkey sandwich this week. The first from Al's, the second from Boston Kebob house and today came from Taste of the Town. I don't know which one was better; who am I to say? They were all tasty in their own turkey-like ways, but none was superior to the next. I will say, however, that there's no match for a baguette when it comes to breads of choice. The wrap, the wheat bun, the syrian...the baguette is simply the best. You could put a spoonful of vomit on there with a dash of manure and it would still be relatively good on a warm french baguette.

Ok, I can't write anymore because I have too much to do here. Amazing, huh? Well in case any of the faithful are wondering, this job is great so far. I'm really enjoying it...I just wish I could find an above-average turkey grinder somewhere. Suggestions welcome, please.

5 comments:

BeachBum said...

I just lost an entire comment about you being in my old stomping ground. Dammit!!

Anyway, summary:

Al's has a great Chicken Salad sub (get it with pickles).

Pete's Deli (on Broad Street) has a fantastic rice and salad plate. Make sure you get the sauce on the rice.

The sub place just before Pete's (it used to be called the Italian Cafe, but think it's changed) has great subs and maybe the place to find a good turkey.

Also, make sure you check out one of the great, unheralded bars in Boston - Kitty O'Shea's. Love that place.

Congrats on the job and make sure you start shirking your responsibilities as soon as you can.

pacing the cage said...

if you need any kind of grinder, the red pepper in grand forks, nd is the only place to go. don't forget the white sauce.

Anonymous said...

Al's is one of the greatest sandwich places of all time. The Kinsale, not to far away up in good ole govt center also has the best buffalo chicken tenders.

None of it will ever live up to DP Dough, but we can dream

Anonymous said...

Look at anonymous bringing out the DP dough shout. Just pop in and order a direnzone. Gee, stop wasting time and find the nearest place to get a 3 way. Is bueno still in Boston? I heard Pete's Drive-In on route 9 makes a good burger. Good luck with the new gig. If you dedicate as much time working as you did blogging at your old job, you are sure to quickly climb the ladder.

D-Lo said...

How about Dicks in Seattle?