20 August 2007

A long-awaited return...

...for all Yankee fans.

I knew eventually they'd come out of the woodwork following their long, winter naps...and/or summer snoozes. They've watched from the depths of their rat holes as the Yankees have stumbled, scraped and clawed their way through this season, falling as far back as 14 games way back when. Where were they then? In their holes, of course, savoring pieces of cheese from years back...26 pieces to be exact. A fresh piece of cheese seemed highly improbable in May, June and most of July but now, all rational thought says that the remaining 6 games between the Sox and Yanks will define either season by crowning an AL East champ and probably mold the AL representative in the 2007 Fall Classic.

I got a text from Ponch this weekend, merely stating "the Yankees are looking good". It was enough to dig just under the surface of my skin and begin to nest and I know that eventually, it will be a full grown virus that haunts me to no end. Regardless of the outcome of the season for the once impenetrable giant that is the Red Sox, a dogfight in April will test a fan's will and faith.

Also testing my will and faith is a one Eric Gagne. I'd rather have him go up there and walk the bases loaded rather than continually groove fastballs and curveballs over the fat part of the plate. I don't doubt that he's in a mental world of hurt right now, but every run that crosses that plate is one more run that Paps wouldn't have given up and it makes me wonder...why in the hell would you screw with a good thing when you're barely in the face of adversity? Why was there this pressing need to upgrade the best bullpen in the majors? If we were simply trying to keep Gagne from the Yankees, I guess I can see some justification but last I checked they have some guy named Chamberlain that is lights out. They didn't need Eric Gagne and they still don't. No team has a spot for a guy that spends his time on his knees, blowing important games like he possessed. He's been good when he's out there and the Sox are behind but he's not the same pitcher in clutch situations. He looks frazzled and he looks like he's aiming his pitches, afraid to make a mistake. Unfortunately for him, aiming leads to mistakes and hard-hit balls and ultimately losses. Right the ship, Gagne. Perhaps he should ditch the number 83...

We'll see what happens over the next several weeks but one thing I can promise you is that as long as the lead in the AL East remains in the balance, Yankee fans will be resurfacing regularly, boasting of 10 straight Division Championships and blah blah blah. When they start barking at you, simply throw your arms to the side with your palms up and ask where they've been. What would a late-August/early-September be without a race to the pennant?

2 comments:

Jum said...

I left the GameCast on Friday night's game in the 9th inning, telling Alex "there was no doubt in my mind that Gagne will blow it anyway." I wasn't even remotely surprised when I came back and saw the score. I don't want to talk about it anymore.

Anonymous said...

You're welcome. I could go for some fresh cheese right about now. Perhaps on a stoned wheat thin.