13 December 2007

When You're Strange

Or maybe that title should read "When I'm Strange". I'm not sure about that one yet, but I'll keep you informed. Ok, I'm pretty sure I'm strange. The whole "It's All French To Me" is just a different way to purport that I'm kind of a weirdo, deep down. Stay tuned to see if I decide to change the title of the blog to simply "I'm Weird". Then again, I feel as though "weird" is all relative. It's not like I'm out there molesting family pets or something. I do, however, like to think that I have unconventional thoughts that occur in my brain on a daily basis. My blog is my vehicle for these thoughts.

I get in these moods sometimes...such moods that make it so that I will make an effort to strike up a conversation with anyone who I encounter over the course of a day. Not people in the street that I pass necessarily, or people in the elevator. I mean, it could be these people, for sure. But it varies. I just find it incredibly amusing to test people that you don't know and that don't know you.

Lunch lines are a good place to make off-the-cuff remarks to those around you. Depending on what others order and maybe what you order, this can be a good way to spur on a random remark. "Yeah, that looks healthy." You can say this to pretty much anyone who orders something revoltingly unhealthy, wherever you're eating. (you can say this to anyone at Boloco) I've only done this once, and it was more of an oral vomit situation in this case. I didn't mean to say it, really. But I did and thankfully, the guy wasn't pissed off. He replied, "Well, it's Friday and I'm hungover. So it's fine." Well played, well played. I think most would concur that hangovers breed unhealthy, greasy food cravings. Another good one in a food line is as follows: when the person in front of you orders something really whacky with all sorts of modifications like "hold this" and "add this" and "no tomatoes" and "extra sprouts", say to him or her "Oh my god, I was going to order the same, exact thing!" Without fail, he or she will say "really?" Then you say, "no, not really" and proceed to order whatever you were going to get. You get weird looks, but whoever hears it will laugh.

I also like to talk to people who are walking around outside during incredibly inclement weather. This morning, for instance, it was 15° in the city as I walked to my office. The reported wind chill was right at 0°, so it was frigid. For some reason, people seem to be a lot less guarded, maybe because that sort of thing (weather) bonds people together. Like, everyone has the mentality that we're all in this thing together, and we can all sympathize with each other. I was beaten to the punch this morning, as I approached a meter maid. I had literally removed my hood just before I passed this woman on the street and she says to me "Where's your hat?" Keep in mind, she says this as we pass each other. So I reply, "I have a hood." But as I mentioned, I had just taken it off. So she remarks "Put it on!" What could I do or say? I put on the fucking hood.

two-day hiatus...

I'm back from the aforementioned hiatus now. I couldn't finish up this entry over the last two days and now, here I sit, trying to finish it up by the end of business today. I keep getting distracted by various things. The latest came in the form of a piece of organic swiss milk chocolate that was waved in front of me. But what do you care? I'll tell you what, the chocolate sucked. I had a tiny nibble, just because I wanted to delight myself in some organic chocolate and I was let down. But I will rest easy because the chocolate I ate was produced in an environmentally friendly way. (it still sucked)

I want to now talk about another kind of encounter that I create in the elevators at work sometimes. I was recently in one of said elevators with a colleague of mine and one other person; an older woman who ultimately got off on a floor before ours. We were talking about a few different things at once...the Santana deal, the frigid temperatures...she was clearly listening and looking at both of us as we chatted. I was aggrevated by this, and upon her exit, I said "Hope you enjoyed our conversation. Have a good one." She turned slightly, but the door shut and that was that. I haven't seen her since that day, either. Perhaps I should have kept my mouth shut, but understand that I didn't use a negative tone when I spoke to her. It was light-hearted, and for all she knows I was being somewhat serious because of the fact that she had to be subjected to our conversation. As in, maybe she didn't have a choice but to listen. We're loud, she's got ears. I really wasn't trying to be a jerk, honest injun.

The whole uncertainty of a situation when you make some sort of comment to a stranger is what makes these things fun, isn't it? More often than not, I find that people are generally nice and open to partaking in a totally surprise, unsolicited conversation. Unless, of course, you're a total dbag and you totally make someone feel like an asshole. One thing I'd really like to do is go into Boloco during peak lunch hours, holding up a sign with the caloric value of their most popular burritos. I walked past there today and the line was out the door. Hey , it's -4° in the sun. Do you really need Boloco that bad? By the way, what you're about to eat has about 1150 calories. What's that? No, I have no idea what you're about to order but all of that shit is BAAAAD. I feel like Kramer in the Kenny Rogers Roasters episode of Seinfeld. Don't eat the burritos...baaad burritos. Mess you up. I've got to say again that I'm really not against that place because they're just another fast food joint, trying to make a buck off of something that tastes pretty good. It's just that, I feel like they advertise as though their product is somehow good for you, and it's just not. It's garbage.

In closing, I need to extend a huge THANK YOU to Jackie, whom I welcomed to this blog no more than a week or so ago. You'll recall that I posted a plug for the Toy Drive that I'm doing with Youk's Kids. I received a delivery from Jackie yesterday, with some toys to donate to these kids and a card saying that she and her fiance wanted to help in some way. And that's awesome. Thanks Jackie and Jason. You guys rule. Hell to the Yeah.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next time a middle aged lady is eavesdropping you should demand her opinion on Kirk Heinrich's drop in productivity or any other topic that she would have no idea about.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my God! What a load of crap this latest entry is/was!!! Methinks yer old brain just suffered a massive case of diarrhea. Git it together, my man! Santa's coming, and he don't like guys who have a drooling brain. That'll get ya committed to an institution of some kind, with no presents, not even coal!! Keep a watchful eye out for the "whitecoats", 'cause they'll wrap you in a straight-jacket real quick after one look at this latest effort. I know you can do better than this. Let's see something about "the list" - your thoughts on that subject. Surprise? Concern? Care less? Who cares??

BeachBum said...

We're complete opposites. I make it a point not to engage anyone in any sort of conversation. For whatever reason they take it as an invite for them to share the details of their day. It usually goes like this:

Me making some sort of wise ass remark.

Stranger will laugh then 'Really! You know my car got stuck in the snow today and I had to call a tow truck and now I'm 30 minutes late, but I think I've made up for it last week when I had to put in 45 hours getting Christmas cards ready for all our clients....'

By this time I'm hitting random buttons in an frantic attempt to get off the elevator as soon as possible or stepping out of line or finding a longer way to get to the train.

Don't speak unless spoken to, is now my motto. And even then say as little as possible. Use grunts if possible.

Anonymous said...

another great thing i enjoy yelling as a door closes behind a stranger: particulary in this case holding a door for someone and they walk right through and dont acknowledge your courtesy..."by the way, YOU'RE WELCOME." and stop using my seinfeld quotes

Anonymous said...

all night long things are creaking and cracking, and that red light is burning my brain. oh i'm stressed.

Jum said...

This doesn't really apply to talking to strangers, but more to dunny's comment asbout yelling things as a door is closing...when someone is getting out of my car, I like to say "Say hello to LUMBERGH FOR ME!!" a la Peter Gibbons in Office Space. But it usually backfires, as they open the door again, either because the person didn't hear me or they didn't get it, and I pretty much just wasted 20 seconds of both of our lives.

Anonymous said...

You're very welcome. Merry Christmas!