08 January 2009

Monsieur Green Thumb

I'm growing a mint plant in my apartment as of Sunday. I must say, I've never really appreciated the process of photosynthesis until now.

I've been watering the thing daily since Sunday but only today did I allow it to have a spot on the window sill amidst a bath of sunlight. Two hours in the sun and there's two inches of new growth on three of the stems.

I don't know how recently markets started peddling Mint plants in mass quantities, but we can thank the rise of the mojito for this. My plant came with a recipe for the classic mojito, only the recipe is for a pitcher of mojitos. Is it not possible that I might be using the mint for something other than an alcoholic beverage? Does it not stand to reason that I could actually be using the mint in my cooking? Maybe I just like the smell, what of it? I guess pretty much everyone is a booze hound these days...these times. The economy is in the crapper, let's get drunk. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a libation or two from time to time and I think the mojito is a mighty tasty drink. I just find it humorous that the selling point for a mint plant is that it can be used to help you get drunk in a tastier fashion.

Hey, it's mint. Mint.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Y'all- don't forget the mint julip garn darnit!

The funny thing is, mint doesn't really taste like mint. It tastes more like grass with a hint of mint and manure. I believe that if a plant is named mint, it should taste like thin-mints, from the freezer.

-Gilbert

BeachBum said...

The selling point is you can get drunk in a tastier fashion (although, what is tastier than an ice cold beer??) AND have fresh breath.

Jum said...

I just constantly chew wintergreen gum while drinking beer. Booyeah.

Charles said...

You are all insightful and delightful.

I grow plants and herbs now so I can use words like "delightful", or "terrific".

Just terrific.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I'm pretty sick of "Monsieur Green Thumb!" Can you give us something else to chew on????