24 February 2008

Is That a New Colon You're Wearing?

I don't know if the minor-league deal the Sox offered to veteran fatboy Bartolo Colon is a good thing, but I think I'm pretty excited about it. Two seasons removed from the Cy Young Award, the consummate tub of lard may not be his former bad self, but he is still really overweight and there's something to be said for that.

Manny Ramirez and Colon should make quite a pair in the dugout, being old friends and long-time jokesters. But I'm wary of Manny incorporating Colon's iffy eating habits...a fat Manny is a slower, less fast Manny...a more lethargic, less energetic Manny...a less productive, more unproductive Manny. That would be bad...very, very bad.

3 comments:

Jum said...

I think you've been waiting patiently for years for the Sox to sign Colon so you could bust that title out. I agree, having him around could make for some interesting scenarios with him and Manny.

BeachBum said...

I'm more worried about the dietary effect on Big Papi. Manny, by all accounts, is a fitness freak. Papi, on the other hand, seems to enjoy a good meal.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Hammen - the title of this post has been in the back of your mind since Colon came up, I'm betting. Anyway, what if the Sox front office just decided to pick up Bartolo just to make Curt look slim? Maybe they'll feed off of each other and both will benefit.

Can't wait for this season to get underway. Next year sa mere et moi will be in Ft. Myers for Spring Training (we hope!). Maybe toi et La could join us?