08 November 2007

Hey, It's Me.

Wow, it's been a while since I last reported to my very loyal but very few readers. I wish that I had something monumental to deliver to you, such as the discovery of a new land, a cure for some terminal disease, maybe even news of the end of the world. Hey, I didn't say that it would have been hypothetical good news, did I?

Some of the thoughts that I have been nursing and nurturing since I last pegged the keys follow. Forgive my tendency to be non-sequitous.

How many of you go to the gym on a regular basis? If you are in this population, and by no means does being in this population make you cooler, you probably witness some of the same sights and sounds that I do. Gym noises can be a very funny thing, but dangerous at the same time. You definitely don't want to have the urge to laugh when you're trying to hoist up a few plates on the bench. But it can be hard, especially when you have people that sound like they're either in labor or experiencing the best climax of their life as they pump out some squats. Then there's the older folks at the gym. I've been in a treadmill next to one of these types, as he literally gasped his way through a brisk walk on the treadmill. I wouldn't know whether to encourage him for really working through the obvious pain he's in, or start performing CPR right then and there in order to save his expiring life. This next one is certainly more a part of the 'sight' variety. There's this one dude at our gym who Lauren playfully refers to as 'partial rep guy'. You'd understand if you saw, and you kinda have to see him in order get the full scope of his ridiculousness. I can't knock the guy's commitment to getting to the gym because he's there everyday. However his work ethic is lacking something...like, a full rep? Everything is completely half-assed with this guy. From a distance, it might appear as if he's really pushing out a ton of reps at a mad pace. At closer look, you realize that he's probably doing his body more harm than good with his partial reps. Halfway up, then down. Halfway down, then up. And so on. Ridiculous. He's also one of those dudes that likes to ask if he can work in with you, which is annoying as anything.

I know that a fair bit has transpired since I wrote last, but now that I've actually sat down to write about that stuff, I'm drawing a bit of a blank. The Pats are 9-0 and coming off a bye week...Buffalo on Sunday. Yawn. At this point, it'll just be interesting to see what kind of numbers that offense can put up and how many records can be broken. No, I'm not being the typical arrogant NE fan here. It's just the reality of the situation as I see it. I haven't even watched much of their season because it's been pretty boring. Blowouts aren't the most riveting games to watch. There's just no question that a) the Patriots are the NFL's best with a good amount of separation between them and the rest and b) more of the focus in this town needs to be shifted to the C's until around the first of the year.

Speaking of which...have you seen the C's play this year? I've seen bits and pieces and tons of highlights. A few observations on this team: 1. The big three are just that. They've played like superstars in every game so far, they click as a unit and frankly, it's tough to say that the Celtics starting 5 can be beat by any other 5 in the NBA. The second unit is absolutely a work in progress, but the education of Big Baby is happening and soon enough, he'll be the guy on that unit. His energy and talent should help him to develop into a legit leader and scorer in the NBA. Watch this team play if you can. They appear to be having a lot of fun on the court and you have to be happy for a guy like Paul Pierce, who has endured years and years of 'rebuilding' and young talent. He's never really complained, and how he's been rewarded with Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen to play alongside of him...or vice versa. It's a cool thing.

We're on the heels of fall now, and just getting onto the tiptoes of winter. But this week is the quintessential tweener for weather. It's pretty balmy out there, rather rainy and dreary but totally bearable from a comfort standpoint. I can always stand being wet but being cold just plain blows. So we're looking at upper 50's temperatures this week, but then it's to promptly plunge back down towards that mark of freezing by the weekend. So I will enjoy this seemingly tropical air while it's here, and then I look forward to the inevitable four to six months of weather misery to come. And even then, when it's penis hibernation cold, I'll still be thankful that I'm not in North Dakota. To those I actually know who live or have lived there, come on. You know what I'm talking about.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot one fine class of people at the Gym: The "overweight, no muscle, pasty white but I can't stop looking in the mirror tank top guy. This guy is really annoying. It always makes me wonder too, because working out right next to him is always the, "I'm so jacked that I don't need to wear a tank-top guy". And it makes me wonder if the really overweight, pasty, no muscles but can't stop looking at myself in the mirror tank top guy ever says to himself, "that guy is so enormous, and is in such great shape that he doesn't feel the need to wear a tank top, maybe I should hold off on wearing one and being obsessed with myself until I have half the definition as that guy." From what I can tell however, this thought never crosses tank top guy's mind and I guess that's why he exists, because stuff like that never crosses his mind.

Oh, and then there is the "good lord that woman is like 45 and she is the hottest piece of ass I have ever seen woman." The "oh my god I have to get up at 5:00am every morning because if I don't I may never see this cougar do squat thrusts ever again!"

We still need to write the Roast Beef book bro, I went to Liberty Bell on a rare treck into the city the other day and I had sticky underwear for the rest of the day.

-Your old pal

Jum said...

See! That's what I'm talking about. That's my goal when using my North Dakotaness to influence other people on their feelings about winter. To anyone who lives in a region where winter only kind of sucks, don't complain: You could be living in North Dakota. I already warned everyone in my office that this winter there will be no complaining about the weather this year. None.

Well done, French. I'm proud of you.

dvjs said...

the celtics look sharp but the true test comes when they head west or when the west comes east. other than maybe the lakers (that's right), the celtics should win every game in their cupcake november schedule. chances are the celtics fans won't be chanting kobe and mvp like they did last year but hopefully it will be a game.

welcome back.

D-Lo said...

In my limited time running has supplanted gym-ing as my preferred method of trying to stay in shape. However, on my rare ventures back into the gym I am always shocked and horrified to see how ridiculously tight Under Armour clothing has infiltrated the gym and has gained a particular strangle hold on those with the "skinny-fat" physique.